About the Job
The Senior Manager, External Communications supports the development and execution of
communications strategies to convey the company’s vision, mission and values to external audiences.
Reporting to the Senior Director of External Communications, the incumbent is tasked with developing
communications materials, including, but not limited to, press releases, talking points, infographics, blog
posts and social content, as well as identify and evaluate opportunities for earned media to highlight key
corporate milestones, research and position our internal experts as thought leaders.
This position is a key member of the Corporate Affairs, External Communications team, working closely
with Government Affairs, Patient Advocacy and Regulatory Policy leads to ensure alignment of activities
• Support the development and implementation of communications strategies and plans to promote
key business priorities, while working to advance the broader enterprise vision.
• Collaborate closely with functions such as marketing, legal, medical, commercial and others to
shape and optimize plans and execution.
• Create compelling content about the company for various external audiences, including, but not
limited to, press releases, infographics, talking points, social content and opinion pieces.
• Review and approve daily media monitoring scans of the company and its competitors.
• Function as a project manager who is capable of managing multiple and simultaneous projects,
ensuring that all efforts meet the company’s high standards in the areas of accuracy, ethics, legal
• Work with communications agency partners to manage timelines, direct strategic priorities and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• 6+ years of relevant experience as a communications/public relations professional; healthcare
communications experience preferred
• Advanced PowerPoint skills
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), particularly with scientific and complex
• Track record of planning and delivery success
• Strong writing skills, excellent attention to detail and diligence in deadline-driven environment
• Demonstrated ability to develop and then measure the effectiveness and impact of
• Willingness and proven ability to function in a hands-on capacity when necessary to achieve
milestones, resolve issues
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion.
Foundation Medicine began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!