Cambridge | Massachusetts | United States
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
The Accessioning Technician I performs critical sample receipt and data entry functions in FMI’s CLIA-certified clinical laboratory. Specifically, the Accessioning Technician receives all incoming samples and ensures that necessary information has been received to move forward with processing. The Accessioning Technician is assigned to one of three shifts and may be assigned to work any day that the lab is operational.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from FMI Quality Assurance regarding regulatory guidelines.
• Specimen Acceptance:
• Specimen Accessioning
• Ensure regulatory compliance by following local, business unit, and corporate safety policies.
• Participate in biohazard, chemical, radiation safety, and other education programs.
• Identify and inform supervisor of any issues that need to be escalated.
• Assist with accessioning schedule changes if requested by a supervisor, including occasional weekend or off-hours work availability.
• Work in a lab environment using chemicals and regents.
• Collaborate with other departments and colleagues for problem solving.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma or General Education Degree
• Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree
• Prior experience working in an accessioning department in CLIA laboratory or other clinical diagnostics setting
• Prior professional experience with accessioning and/or anatomic pathology
• Prior use of laboratory information management systems
• Knowledge of medical terminology, specifically anatomic pathology specimen descriptions.
• Excellent computer/data entry skills
• Demonstrated attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Demonstrated experience handling multiple tasks at once
• Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with peers in a fast-paced and cross-functional results-oriented team environment
• Demonstrated experience working within tight timelines for successful execution of project and program goals
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Ability to prioritize and thoroughly follow up on assigned tasks
• Ability to adapt to changing procedures, policies and work environment
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement . If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)