About the Job
The Accessioning Technician II performs critical sample receipt and data entry functions in FMI’s CLIA-certified clinical laboratory. Specifically, the Accessioning Technician II receives incoming samples and ensures that necessary information has been received to move forward with processing. The Accessioning Technician II is assigned to one of three shifts and may be assigned to work any day that the lab is operational.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from FMI Quality Assurance regarding regulatory guidelines.
• Specimen Acceptance:
· Receive and record delivery of patient samples.
· Unpack and verify contents and condition of received samples.
· Sign off on all received specimens; ensure logs match specimens received.
· Time stamp specimens.
· Immediately addresses issues if specimens do not match logs.
• Specimen Accessioning
· Perform data entry into the FMI Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), including assigning specific computer-generated identification numbers to each sample.
· Route samples into the appropriate workflow and ensure downstream staff is alerted to sample availability.
· Maintain required documentation, including proper specimen handling, labeling, and preparation of worksheets.
· Maintain specimen identification and integrity throughout all processes.
· Dispose and label biohazard waste appropriately.
· Perform a Quality Control check of all assigned cases.
· Operate independently and work on complex samples given prior functional experience.
• Ensure regulatory compliance by following local, business unit, and corporate safety policies.
• Participate in biohazard, chemical, radiation safety, and other education programs.
• Identify and inform supervisor of any issues that need to be escalated.
• Assist with accessioning schedule changes if requested by a supervisor, including occasional weekend or off-hours work availability.
• Work in a lab environment using chemicals and regents.
• Collaborate with other departments and colleagues for problem solving.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma or General Education Degree AND 4+ years of experience working as an Accessioning Technician in an Accessioning department in a laboratory or other clinical diagnostics setting
• OR Bachelor’s Degree
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 1+ years of experience working in an Accessioning department in CLIA laboratory
• 4+ years of professional experience with accessioning and/or anatomic pathology
• Prior use of laboratory information management systems
• Knowledge of medical terminology, specifically anatomic pathology specimen descriptions.
• Excellent computer/data entry skills
• Demonstrated attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Demonstrated experience handling multiple tasks at once
• Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with peers in a fast-paced and cross-functional results-oriented team environment
• Demonstrated experience working within tight timelines for successful execution of project and program goals
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Ability to prioritize and thoroughly follow up on assigned tasks
• Ability to adapt to changing procedures, policies and work environment
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!