Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
Associate Director, Software Engineering is a hands-on leader for a team of application developers supporting data management of FMI’s engineering platform. This leader leverages advanced and strong coding skills with mentorship of individual contributors and collaborates cross functionally to drive software engineering initiatives. In addition to managing a team, the Associate Director architects and develops custom applications that are tightly integrated with Foundation Medicine’s Clinical Laboratory LIMS system and play a key role in defining and implementing a streamlined suite of applications to improve efficiency across laboratory workstreams, thereby improve visibility to lifecycle of a sample, it’s results, and data quality.
• Oversee a team of Software developers, on site and offshore, providing coaching, development, performance monitoring, and prioritization of work for the team.
• Create, design and support custom applications that integrate seamlessly with other business applications (such as Customer Relationship Management, Medical Reporting, Billing, Laboratory Information Management Systems).
• Provide key contributions to the design and implementation of future state laboratory systems data architecture and roadmap.
• Define and document architecture and functional and design requirements.
• Interact with internal customers to develop business requirements.
• Work with team to develop IQ and OQ documentation and execute testing.
• Conform to coding conventions and all aspects of the SDLC and change control and product release policies.
• Participate in the continuous process improvement of Lab IT solutions.
• Collaborate with cross functional teams in Technology and the Product Development group.
• Develop, plan and recommend budget and staffing changes as required
• Other duties pertinent to that of a software engineer as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 10+ years of technical experience in all aspects of software engineering
• Master’s Degree in Software Engineering
• Technology Certifications
• Extensive study in software engineering, computer science or computer systems engineering
• 12+ years of experience with specific areas of software engineering pertinent to assigned system
• 6+ years leading a technical team of full stack engineers and developing multi-tier web applications
• Familiarity with HTTP web services and Git version control system
• Excellent knowledge of at least 3 of the following:
· Sass or Less
· MOBx, Webpack
· Node, NPM
· Shell scripting
· Browser-based testing (Jest a plus)
• Experience working with relational databases, such as Structured Query Language (SQL), Object-Relational Mapping (ORM), and query tuning, as well as DevOps tools, DevOps processes, and the Prince XML rendering platform
• Experience with at least one:
· Unit test framework (Mocha or Jasmine); and,
· One E2E testing frameworks (Selenium or Protractor)
• Experience in Unix or Unix-like operating systems
• Strong understanding of RESTFul API development
• Experience capturing requirements from end users and developing formal technical specifications
• Full understanding of agile development practices
• Some familiarity with molecular biology and genomics
• Familiarity with at least 1 automated testing framework for node.js
• Track record of creating, leading and managing high performing engineering teams
• Familiarity and ability to comply with regulated development environments, including regulations established by the Food and Drug Administration, United States Department of Agriculture and other applicable regulatory bodies
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow
• Demonstrated ability of meeting project deadlines and of working in a dynamic, fast paced team environment
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skill in collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of patient data privacy
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Commitment to reflect FMI's values: Passion, Patients, Innovation, and Collaboration
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.