Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About the Job
The Associate Director, Cloud Genomics Platforms (CLGP) leads and guides the global cloud platform engineering team, supporting FMI’s cancer genomics research pipeline. This leader is responsible for providing strategic and tactical direction to critical Amazon Web Service (AWS) cloud solutions and engineering, collaborating with key stakeholders across FMI, namely Architecture, Software Engineering and Research & Development teams under a Listen, Plan, and Act mantra to deliver cloud based solutions for the Genomics Pipelines and related functions. The position additionally supports 24/7 global operations.
• Manage a team of cloud engineers and operations staff, providing hiring, orientation, training, development and performance monitoring initiatives.
• Develop short and long-term roadmaps, both internal to the CLGP and related technologies, as well as in coordination with the developing needs of partner teams/key stakeholders.
• Ensure projects are defined, scoped, and delivered on time/budget and according to business and architectural requirements; partner with Portfolio Governance teams to provide detailed work plans and status reports.
• Budget responsibility to develop forecasts for Annual Operating Plan, track and ensure financial maturity and efficiency of public cloud spend.
• Be responsible for vendor management as part of budgeting and execution processes.
• Drive toward Enterprise Class scale and operations, contributing to the design of FMI’s Cloud Center of Enablement; leverage standard processes and procedures while being hands-on in creating, re-evaluating and evolving process improvements across a variety of services, beyond the technical.
• Establish a continuous improvement plan for building and operating hundreds of cloud-based services, including but not limited to best practices for performing:
· Root cause analyses;
· Security and privacy reviews;
· Business defined performance and cost analyses; and,
· Quality infrastructure for critical applications.
· Team is meeting established expectations on quality and excellence;
· Resource allocation necessary for proficient department operations;
· Clear direction of work amongst the team; and,
· Work is completed in accordance with established timeframes.
• Represent and drive Cloud Genomics Platform related priorities and goals across, including managing CLGP interactions with R&D and other stakeholder groups.
• Maintain or establish initiatives for a strong and positive culture of ownership that drives inter-department communications and collaboration.
• Partner with and influence stakeholders to promote automation, simplification, standardization and innovation to ensure risks are understood and minimized.
• Establish vision for multi-year and multi-cloud roadmaps, in coordination with business initiatives and go-to-market strategies.
• Lead by example and be hands-on when necessary, fostering a “One Team” mentality balancing thoughtful alignment of planning and tactical execution.
• Implement and operate in a regulated environment, including FDA, GDPR, ISO 27001, and SOC2.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 7+ years of experience on Cloud platforms
• 6+ years of experience managing Amazon Web Services
• 6+ years of demonstrated leadership with the ability to drive the recruitment, development, and performance of a world-class distributed cloud engineering team
• 5+ years of experience working in and leading an Agile development organization
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science or a related engineering field
• AWS Certification
• 10+ years of experience working in an agile scrum master role
• 7+ years of experience in a technical leadership role
• Experience implementing AWS services in a large distributed computing environment and managing an AWS infrastructure team during and following a Cloud migration
• Expert knowledge of Amazon:
· Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
· Simple Storage Service (S3)
· Elastic Block Store (EBS)
· Elastic File System (EFS)
· with High Performance Compute scaling – multi zone/region
· deploying and supporting large IaaS/PaaS production environments
· supporting tiered storage and production workloads in a public cloud environment
· with modern web development technologies and microservices architectures
· leading domestic and globally distributed engineering teams (build out)
• Experience in life sciences and/or biotechnology environments
• Experience working in regulated environments, especially FDA, Medical Device, ISO 27001, and GDPR
• Track record of effectively aligning engineering practices with organizational strategy to deliver business results
• Demonstrated excellence in mentoring and team building
• Expertise with modern, large-scale Compute, Storage, IaaS/PaaS, trending toward cloud native architectures in both Production and Research & Development environments
• Exposure to other enterprise cloud platforms
• Background in Automation and utilizing tools (such as CloudFormation, Terraform, chef, and ansible)
• Knowledge of security practices and systems required to manage highly sensitive data; demonstrated history of implementing security by design
• Ability to lead the development of resilient, high-performing platforms that process significant data loads, with a proven track record of measuring and seeking reduced service delivery times (SLA/SLO development)
• Ability to form and articulate a strategy for platform modernization along with cultivating the buy-in necessary to execute
• Tactical ability around service transformation
• Excellent technical communication skills and the ability to effectively inform all levels of the organization
• Interest in implementing incremental and forward-looking technology strategies
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!