About the Job
The Associate Director of Design is a strategic leader and planner of a key product and/or service design workstreams. The position is responsible for execution of the full design process with the goal of elevating the quality, adoption, and impact of FMI’s portfolio of applications, services, and products.
As an Associate Director of Design, you’ll balance your time between collaborating and consulting with key design partners and stakeholders, engaging with the people we serve, articulating experience/design strategy, planning and leading key product/service/application design workstreams, mentoring and coaching the designers on your team, and rolling up your sleeves to help tackle the hardest and most complex experience design challenges.
As a key design team leader, you’ll be a strong advocate for and model practitioner of lean, agile, human centered design problem solving, strategy, and innovation – keeping the human beings we serve front and center, while appreciating the complex business, technical, data, social, regulatory, clinical, and human contexts in which we work. You’ll be a collaborative voracious learner who helps us distill and apply experience design best practices that elevate quality, create seamless experiences across our portfolio, and accelerate impact. Finally, you’ll model and cultivate an innovation mindset, excellence, continuous learning, humility, collaboration, passion, and dedication to achieving our mission.
• Manage, lead and grow a team of designers spanning all design skill sets
• Plan, lead, and work on key product and/or service design workstreams integrated within an agile, collaborative, cross functional environment.
• Consult and collaborate with leaders in Product Management, Data Science, Development, Translational Oncology, Medical Reporting, and other applicable areas.
• Prioritize, plan and manage all design work for the designated product, with focus on the experiences of oncologists and oncology care teams.
• Facilitate Design Workshops and “Design Sprints.”
• Collaborate on product strategy and participate in agile release planning.
• Lead recurring design reviews and critiques to elevate the quality, impact, and value of design work, and to deepen the design craft of team members.
• Facilitate the definition, harvesting, and application of design insights and best practices.
• Partner and regularly meet with the Design team on defining high-level creative vision, aesthetic direction, and execution of FMI’s brand.
• Actively collaborate with other Foundation Medicine Experience Design subteam leaders and colleagues to foster sharing and cross-pollination and the delivery of seamless and integrated products, services and experiences.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 12+ years of professional experience in product and service design
• 8+ years of experience leading and managing design teams in an agile, collaborative product development environment
• 5+ years of direct experience in the life science, biomedical, biopharma, and/or health care industries designing data driven applications, systems, and services
• Master’s Degree or Ph.D. in Design, Human Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Health Informatics, Biology, a life science, or related fields
• 3+ years of experience as a Designer or design leader in life science, biomedical, biopharma, and clinical research and development contexts in oncology/genomics
• Experience working on solutions for investigators
• Experience and skill designing complex data-driven applications, systems, and services in complex enterprise environments
• Experience as a design leader in consulting and agile system/product/service development contexts
• History of successfully leading multiple workstreams, dealing with ambiguity, and creatively adapt to fast paced work organizational environment
• Background and basic understanding of data science, oncology, genomics, health informatics, and laboratory practices
• Outstanding teaching and mentorship skills
• Strong system thinker with outstanding experience and skill in experience architecture
• Outstanding communication, facilitation, consulting, and organizational navigation skills
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: passion, patients, innovation, collaboration
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.