Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About the Job
The Associate Director, Software Engineering is a hands-on leader for a team of application developers, DevOps and quality engineers supporting all areas of software development. This leader leverages advanced and strong coding skills with mentorship of individual contributors and collaborates cross functionally to drive software engineering initiatives. In addition to managing a team, the Associate Director architects and develops applications that are tightly integrated with Foundation Medicine’s system and plays a key role in defining and implementing a streamlined suite of applications to improve efficiency across workstreams. The Associate Director role is a strong technical leader in the FMI organization.
• Oversee a team of Software, Devops and quality engineers, on site and offshore, providing coaching, development, performance monitoring, and prioritization of work for the team.
• Create, enhance and support production like environments that exercise end-to-end testing for combined compliance engineering features. Including but not limited to regression automation, test data management and test consolidation.
• Provide key contributions to the design and implementation of future state compliance engineering architecture and roadmap.
• Define and document architecture and functional and design requirements. Partner with Enterprise Architecture, IT, Quality Assurance, Engineering, Product, Architecture and Regulatory groups to define out a global compliance engineering strategy with roadmap of applications to support it.
• Interact with Value streams, DevOps and Data Engineering teams to get to consolidation and consistency in the Devops area to be compliant by design. Including but not limited to CI/CD process, build technology and procedures.
• Form an operations function to ensure a system wide support plan gets implemented. Including, but not limited to standard monitoring/practices, triage process, and run book combined with knowledge center.
• Participate in the continuous process improvement of compliance engineering solutions.
• Collaborate with cross functional teams in Technology and the Product Development group.
• Develop, plan and recommend budget and staffing changes as required.
•Design initiatives that ensure applications integrate seamlessly with other programs in use at FMI and integrate with Quality Management, Application Management, Devops and native AWS services such as JAMA, JIRA, qTest, Veeva, Jenkins, Sonarqube, Logz.io, NewRelic, Jfrog etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 10+ years of technical experience in all aspects of software engineering
• 6+ years leading a technical team of full stack engineers and developing multi-tier web applications
• Experience working with relational databases, such as Structured Query Language (SQL), Object-Relational Mapping (ORM), and query tuning, as well as DevOps tools, DevOps processes
• Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes, and containerization/containerized deployment of software
• Experience with at least one:
• Experience in Unix or Unix-like operating systems
• Experience capturing requirements from end users and developing formal technical specifications
• Full understanding of agile development practices
• Strong understanding of RESTFul API development
• Familiarity with HTTP web services and Git version control system
• Familiarity and ability to comply with regulated development environments, including regulations established by the Food and Drug Administration, United States Department of Agriculture and other applicable regulatory bodies
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow
• Track record of creating, leading and managing high performing engineering teams
• Demonstrated ability of meeting project deadlines and of working in a dynamic, fast paced team environment
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skill in collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to reflect FMI's values: Passion, Patients, Innovation, and Collaboration
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our second annual Hackathon took place virtually this year, providing our employees with the opportunity to pause their daily jobs and creatively problem solve with people from across the company.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!