The Research and Development team at Foundation Medicine is constantly pushing the envelope to transform cancer care.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
The Scientist I, Bioinformatics develops novel methods for detecting, reporting and analyzing alterations in tumor DNA and RNA, while optimizing existing methods. The incumbent provides scientific and technical contributions for a designated project on an interdisciplinary team. The Scientist I, Bioinformatics is also responsible for supporting novel biomarker and companion diagnostics development by mining and analyzing various types of data generated during the product development and validation process.
• Partner within an interdisciplinary team of Biochemists, Bioinformatics Scientists, Computational Biologists, Data Scientists, focused on developing diagnostic products using massively parallel sequencing of tumor genomic DNA and RNA.
• Contribute to the development of new methods and algorithms to identify and characterize alterations in tumor DNA and RNA derived from clinical cancer specimens.
• Enhance existing methods, improving their assay capabilities as well as their technical robustness.
• Process, analyze, and interpret high volumes of data for the development and validation of methods.
• Monitor and evaluate analytical aspects of new and emerging technologies.
• Present scientific and technical data to colleagues in a clear and cohesive manner.
• Prepare project timetables, schedules and deliverables.
• Provide independent contributions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Master’s Degree in Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or similar discipline
• 1+ years of industry or academic medical center professional experience or post-doctorate work
• Proficiency with programming and scripting languages R and Python
• PhD degree in Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or similar discipline
• 3+ years of industry experience
• Strong scientific understanding of molecular biology and genomics
• Facility with additional programming and scripting languages
• Experience contributing to a complex production analytical system
• Experience developing algorithms for analysis of biological data
• Prior experience with high-throughput sequencing
• Experience in cancer research, including a working understanding of computational approaches for cancer genome analysis
• Excellent teamwork, time management and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently in a multidisciplinary, fast-paced, dynamic, and results-oriented environment
• Ability to present data to a multidisciplinary audience in a clear and cohesive manner
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Strong interpersonal skills that include collaboration and creative problem solving
• Impeccable documentation practices and attention to detail
• The ability to prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner
Please be aware that Foundation Medicine mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!