About the Job
As a key member of the executive team, the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) acts as a strategic partner to the Chief Executive Officer and the Foundation Medicine leadership team. This position is responsible for driving the medical team’s focus on transforming cancer care through leveraging molecular information to improve clinical and therapeutic development decision-making. The CMO is a critical thought partner in advancing decision insights strategy and effective internal and external communication and collaboration.
The physician executive builds, mentors, and leads the medical team, and provides guidance for future resourcing decisions as the company’s portfolio of decision insights assets accelerates. In addition to the strategic development and oversight of the company’s existing portfolio, the CMO actively participates in the company’s strategic planning, partnering discussions, and presentations to regulatory agencies and the Board of Directors.
• Serve as a key member of the Executive Leadership Team, play a key role in the medical strategy and in setting the tactical direction of the current and future development portfolio.
• Provide strategic insight and guidance with respect to the clinical or medical needs for strategic direction, product portfolio, and new products and applications.
• Lead all aspects of the Company's Medical function.
• Establish relationships with thought leaders, consultants, and key clinicians across the varied segments of interest to ensure that the Company has a clear understanding of clinician and biopharma needs and requirements, as well as medical practice patterns.
• Serve as the senior clinical spokesperson for a wide range of venues, both internally and externally, such as FDA Advisory Committee meetings, KOL engagement, professional society forums, and relevant Corporate functions.
• Actively participate in strategic planning, partnering discussions, and presentations to investors, regulatory agencies, and the Board of Directors; be actively involved in potential partnerships.
• Maintain an understanding of competitors and clinical developments in relevant oncology, data, technology, and medical decision making and analyze the competitive landscape delivering meaningful results for the organization.
• Lead the Company’s clinical and regulatory programs to diverse audiences including FDA or EMA, shareholders, corporate partners, Board of Directors, and other key stakeholders.
• Attract, develop, and retain top talent, lead strategic and operational aspects for medical functions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 10+ years of progressive work experience in scientific or medical roles within life sciences
• 15+ years of Clinical Development leadership experience, preferably as a CMO or oncology Vice President leading the clinical strategy in a companion diagnostic, biotech, or pharmaceutical organization
• Extensive experience working in oncology
• Experience in development and implementation of innovative clinical trials and evidence generation strategies
• Experience in the principles and techniques of data analysis, interpretation, and clinical relevance
• Experience in delivery of scientific communications
• Experience creating and managing effective internal and external relationships, such as with members of SABs, global regulatory agencies, partners, KOLs, etc.
• Proven track record of effective team development, leadership and management experience across multiple cultures
• History of leading the clinical vision and the design and execution of effective clinical development and regulatory strategies
• Proven ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment, operating at strategic levels while also able to roll up your sleeves and get into the details
• Track record of driving clinical programs in collaborations with industry partners
• Leadership experience building a medical infrastructure
• Expert knowledge in Medical Decision Making and Evidence Based Medicine applications
• Knowledge of the overall drug discovery, development, and commercialization process relevant to pharmaceutical/biotechnology organizations
• A strong understanding in genomics and oncology, with a network of biotech, oncology, diagnostic, data/technology and venture capital contacts
• Knowledge of clinical application of liquid biopsy technologies to understand drug resistance for selecting targeted therapies
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skillset
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to reflect FMI's values: passion, patients, innovation, and collaboration
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.