About the Job
People are at the core of Foundation Medicine’s tremendous success. Continued expansion, development and retention of FMI’s outstanding team is at the heart of why the Chief People Officer (CPO) at Foundation Medicine is a critical and exciting role. The CPO provides the vision and strategic direction for the company’s people practices to ensure they meet the needs of FMI’s constantly evolving business, while maintaining a culture that thrives on diversity, equity, inclusion and innovation.
The CPO is responsible for leading a dynamic team of professionals who are collectively driving FMI to be a top place to work and championing a culture built on the company’s values of passion, collaboration, innovation and patients.
• Report to the CEO and partner with other members of the executive leadership team to shape and communicate the ongoing vision for FMI’s people strategy and ensure that opportunities and impact for people across the organization are front and center.
• Create a progressive People roadmap and strategy in line with FMI’s objectives, vision, and strategy.
• Lead ongoing organizational design and development in a rapid-growth, matrixed organization, while developing top talent, improving engagement, and ensuring solid performance and culture standards.
• Inspire, grow, and develop the People Team to continue to be a high-performing asset of our business that evolves practices as the business evolves.
• Lead a People Team that is closely aligned to the business, consistently delivers high impact services, systems, and results, and is anchored in the ability to effectively listen and solve people issues with consideration, care, and concern for unique differences.
• Ensure that a diversity, equity and inclusion strategy is developed for the organization that advances a culture of representation and inclusion and reinforces FMI’s position as a top place to work.
• Create, implement, and measure programs that develop talent, enhance career advancement, and ensure agile performance management.
• Embed processes and practices for robust talent and succession planning across FMI, including talent exchanges with the Roche Group.
• Oversee and ensure rewards programs are comprehensive, competitive, and align with business goals.
• Lead talent acquisition, strategizing compelling ways to share and build an affinity for our value proposition in a competitive talent market.
• Oversee the execution of all learning and development initiatives to help drive a high-performance, high-growth mindset that focuses on career development and growth; ensure Foundation Medicine maintains its market shaping culture.
• Monitor and interpret trends and metrics around employee engagement, attraction, and turnover and other relevant metrics; establish recommendations for improvements accordingly; partner with the business to implement and drive engagement.
• Lead the development of best practices to ensure strong employee engagement and performance in all work environments; for the duration of the COVID pandemic, lead our COVID task force and return to the office strategy development.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 15+ years of work experience and progressive responsibility in Human Resources
• 5+ years of leadership/managerial experience
• Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Human Resources (HR), Business Administration, or a related field
• 5+ years as most senior HR professional in an independent company
• Training or certifications in organization development, design, and/or change management
• Experience in the life sciences and/or technology industries and in high-growth, global companies built upon continuous and rapid innovation and phenomenal corporate cultures
• Solid understanding of relevant labor related regulations and legislation
• Prior success scaling an organization in a hands-on, highly-collaborative, environment
• Demonstrated success in leading, inspiring, coaching and building world-class People teams
• Demonstrated success in change management and rapidly growing businesses
• An operating reputation of being proactive, succinct, and nimble with an ability to think strategically and execute tactically
• Demonstrated record of exceeding goals and willing to bring creative problem-solving skills to challenges along the way
• Demonstrated ability to work in the “gray zone” and anticipate challenges before they arise
• Hands on experience ensuring operational and compliance excellence in HR
• M&A capability with particular focus on integrations of companies
• Proficiency “influencing without authority” to achieve objectives across complex projects and organizational structures
• Natural coach and mentor with an ability to foster relationships with all levels of the team, to relate well with others, to listen effectively, and to help employees at all levels achieve their development goals
• Ability to make difficult or unpopular decisions ethically, rationally and calmly, using sound judgment that is consistent with business standards, practices, policies, procedures and regulations
• High social and emotional intelligence with experience establishing relationships as a trusted advisor with the highest degree of integrity
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all stakeholders
• Deep functional expertise, coupled with business acumen, personal credibility and outstanding leadership skills
• Strong business orientation with experience in organization development and change leadership
• Strong collaboration, problem solving, organizational, and interpersonal communication skills
• Commitment to developing a world class employee experience, while cultivating a high-performance, people-first culture where there is alignment around common values including diversity, equity and inclusion
• Enjoys learning and being involved in the content of the whole business; thrives in a very fast-paced and growing business
• A champion of our culture, helping the team and company live our core values while achieving our goals together
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: Passion, Patients, Innovation, and Collaboration
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.