Every patient sample is a story.
That's why our Lab Ops team is focused on providing physicians with comprehensive genomic information about each person's cancer. Information that's as unique as the patients are. The insights discovered in our labs may help change their story.
About the Job
The Analyst I, Clinical Bioinformatics is responsible for analysis and delivery of next generation sequence data in a high-complexity clinical diagnostic laboratory to clinicians, pharmaceutical partners, and academic collaborators. In addition, the position is responsible for collecting and presenting quality metrics and reviewing variant reports.
• Develop annotated genomic profiles of somatic aberrations based on massively-parallel sequencing (Next Generation Sequencing or NGS) data in cancer-patient samples study.
• Review genomic variant calls using proprietary and publicly available tools, including but not limited to the Integrative Genomics Viewer (IGV), in close collaboration with the scientific team.
• Provide test results according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) with the best possible quality within defined turn-around times.
• Collaborate with technical teams in specifying requirements for tools to enhance workflow efficiency and robustness.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Prior experience working with bioinformatics tools and databases
• Master’s Degree in Bioinformatics, Biology, or a life science
• Substantive genomics research experience in rigorous academic setting
• Experience with bioinformatics tools and databases, including the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), University of California Santa Cruz (UCSC) Genome Browser, and Integrative Genomics Viewer (IGV)
• Scripting ability in Python or Perl
• Facility with UNIX environment
• Experience with Next-Generation Sequencing
• Experience working within a CLIA-certified clinical diagnostics laboratory
• Ability to work in a lab environment in the presence of chemicals and regents
• Ability to work weekend or off-hours shift work
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skills in written and oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow
• Demonstrated ability to meet project deadlines
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to reflecting FMI’s values: passion, patients, innovation and collaboration
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!