Full Time | Boston | Massachusetts | United States
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
Cloud Architect on the Cloud Solutions and Architecture Platforms Team within FMI’s Technology Team and is responsible for leading and developing a variety of complex long-term engineering projects involving multiple disciplines across different business units. The role is accountable for the definition, design, delivery and productionizing of the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud environment as well as the design of reusable patterns, applicable across FMI’s technical platforms frameworks and services. As a higher-level position the incumbent leverages advanced technical knowledge and clear communication to influence, and leadership lead, and mentor skills in leading solutions and mentors Principal Cloud Engineers, Operations Engineers, and reach across the aisle to partner with Business and Development stakeholders..
• Create and document proposals to address business challenges.
• Review and consult on solutions and proposals with Engineering and Application Development Teams.
• Design, develop and implement Cloud Infrastructure Standards and Frameworks using industry best practices.
• Leads the design of processes, system implementations and integrations leveraging Agile methodologies.
• Lead internal and external projects and delivers results appropriate for project scope and timelines.
• Lead research efforts for new technology and how to effectively and elegantly integrate them into FMI’s existing enterprise platforms.
• Design and implement application deployments and improvements utilizing cloud native services.
• Collaborate with development teams on application and infrastructure from initial design to production deployment.
• Execute initiatives to improve cloud applications via design and operational resiliency.
• Evaluate new cloud services and tools in order to create scorecards and proposals.
• Write, test, and refactor Infrastructure As Code (IAC) that adheres to scaleable, secure, and efficient patterns and standards.
• Create, review, modify, and update Amazon Web Services (AWS) CloudFormation and automation scripts.
• Maintain uptime on all systems while making improvements to system features and usability.
• Work with FMI’s Development and Operations Teams to streamline continuous integration and deployments of internal applications.
• Partner across FMI’s technical teams to maintain best practices and integrate post-deployment automated testing.
• Operationalize cloud applications and cloud infrastructure with processes and documentation.
• Provide mentorship and guidance to Cloud Engineers.
• Other projects as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related engineering field
• 8+ years of experience in Linux or Windows Systems Engineering
• 4+ years of experience using or related to Amazon Web Services
• 5+ years of cloud computing experience and of bash scripting experience
• 2+ years of software development experience
• Practical exposure to architectural principles behind DB technologies such as Oracle, Postgres, Microsoft SQL, MYSQL, NOSQL, and understanding onhow they fit into an overall solution
• Solid understanding of Python, JSON, XML, and related notational data representations, as well as least privileged security best practices
• Familiarity with the Atlassian toolset including Jira and Confluence
• Experience with a combination of the following:
· managing or designing cloud deployment software
· Cloud architecture, networking, system administration, and security best practices
· designing and implementing application deployments and improvements utilizing cloud native services
· Linux (RHEL and CentOS) environments, Windows environment, Nix and other mixed operating systems
· using ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana) or Splunk logging to troubleshoot applications
· Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) processes and toolsets
· designing and scripting "self-healing" cloud architecture
· scripting in Powershell
· Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Simple Storage Service (S3), Elastic Block Store (EBS), Elastic File System (EFS) and Relational Database Service (RDS)
· CloudFormation, Terraform, or similar iterative template creation experience
· Chef, Ansible, or other automation tools
· Windows automation
· Docker and container services
· GitHub and other source control solutions to version code/configuration changes
· Monitoring tools CloudWatch, DataDog or New Relic APM
· On call rotations using PagerDuty
· Network File System
· Server Message Block
• History of "automation first" approach to cloud
• Track record of excellent time-sensitive deliverable management skills
• Strong stakeholder management skills that include developed written and oral communication skills, effective collaboration techniques and the ability to problem solve within a team and cross-functionally
• Financial and business acumen and experience applying these to the practical design of efficient technical platforms
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.
Our Data and Tech teams are growing. Hear from the teams about why they chose Foundation Medicine and why they stay.
Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.