About the Job
The Intern, Cloud Governance is responsible for tracking, analyzing and improving the cost and utilization of high-performance computing environments in FMI’s Cloud. The position engages with cross-functional teams to manage Cloud utilization, costs, and to set budgets.
The FMI Internship Program is offered to students currently registered in a degree program. It is a 10-12 week summer commitment, Full Time, 40 hours/week. Interns will gain a greater understanding of FMI through challenging project-based work, Spotlight Speaker Series with company executives, and the chance to connect with all employees by attending many company-wide events.
This team is currently working remotely, but when working in office is based in Boston, MA.
Foundation Medicine is unable to consider candidates that will require visa sponsorship now, or in the future, for this specific role.
• Develop a clear method to track Cloud spend.
• Prepare and present Cloud Health and Spend Status and Dashboards for FMI Executive Leadership and Corporate Management and Strategy Teams.
• Monitor and report costs in Cloud Health.
• Generate reports on cloud spend broken down by defined dimensions including, but not limited to, applications, environments, teams, and business units.
• Proactively learn new Cloud health features, enhancements and integrations.
• Engage with teams regularly on team spends and budgets.
• Collaborate with teams on budget changes and justification for changes.
• Participate with scrum teams as appropriate.
• Work with project teams on the predictive Cloud cost models of existing and new products/footprint.
• Influence and evolve operational best practices for managing Cloud cost to budget spend across teams, product lines, and business units.
• Engage with teams to justify irregular Cloud spend.
• Collaborate with cross-functional agile and scrum engineering teams to develop cost controlling mechanisms for project releases and portfolio planning.
• Work across multiple agile and scrum teams to influence outcomes for Cloud governance project deliverables.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Rising junior or senior pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Business Analytics, Business Administration – Finance, or related discipline
• Basic computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Excel
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain Cloud spend with internal teams
• Strong analytical skills
• Familiar with cost and usage tools for cloud infrastructure environments
• Familiar with Microsoft PowerBI analytics and reporting tools
• Demonstrated experience with CloudHealth and Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cost Explorer online tools
• Advanced Microsoft Excel skills including Pivot Tables, Graphing, and Trending
• Familiar with using Atlassian enterprise tools such as JIRA and Confluence
• Ability to develop effective financial reports
• Familiarity with statistical data analysis programming languages
• Customer-focused with the ability to understand how goals map to cost
• Ability to effectively communicate criticality of cost management
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Strong listening skills and effective collaboration skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to multi-task and remain flexible with changing priorities
• Highly motivated, with a strong work ethic and tenacity
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Foundation Medicine’s commitment to bringing positive learning experiences to students through our Internship Program has not changed in light of Covid-19 restrictions. We have moved our 2021 program to be a virtual one, and are continuing to provide meaningful work to university students. If selected to participate in our virtual Internship Program, you will be given challenging work, robust networking opportunities, and many ways to experience Foundation Medicine’s culture. While we anxiously await the time when we are all able to be together again, we will not let this slow us down. At Foundation Medicine, we are driven to bring our best to patients every day and we look forward to working with the brightest minds.