The Research and Development team at Foundation Medicine is constantly pushing the envelope to transform cancer care.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
The Computational Biologist II, Machine Learning contributes to research, implementation, and validation of computational methods for FMI’s Research and Cancer Genomics Research groups. The position’s contributions focus on feasibility analyses of novel diagnostic methods and identification of biomarker signatures from genomic and epigenomic data.
• Work in an interdisciplinary team of molecular biologists, computational biologists, and data scientists focused on developing innovative approaches in tumor detection and oncology biomarkers using NGS in blood and tissue specimens from cancer patients.
• Analyze raw data from novel molecular biology and instrumentation platforms to provide insights into effectiveness and development of approaches.
• Identify and analyze novel biological measurements and signals to develop and optimize strategies for detection of tumor and improvement of clinical biomarkers.
• Monitor and evaluate analytical aspects of new and emerging technologies.
• Present scientific and technical data to colleagues in a clear and cohesive manner.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of research experience in the life sciences industry; OR,
• Master’s Degree and 3+ years of research experience in the life sciences industry; OR,
• PhD and 2+ years of research experience in the life sciences industry
• Significant experience applying computational biology and data-science methods to “big” genomic and epigenomic data in cancer, including identifying and extracting novel signals and managing very large feature sets
• Expertise in developing and applying both classical statistical and machine learning algorithms and pipelines using relevant tools in R or python
• Experience in cloud-based, high-performance UNIX-compute environments (e.g. AWS, Apache Spark, very large datasets)
• Strong understanding of molecular biology, genomics and epigenetics in cancer
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Excellent teamwork, time management and organizational skills
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI's values: passion, patients, innovation, and collaboration
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!