About the Job
The Intern, Computational Biology and Bioinformatics contributes scientific and technical expertise to an interdisciplinary team focused on making large scale clinical impact through advanced analysis and science. The Intern identifies biomarkers in tumor DNA and RNA, collaborates with other scientific teams to enrich analysis, and contributes other projects as needed.
The FMI Internship Program is offered to students currently registered in a degree program. It is a 10-12 week summer commitment, Full Time, 40 hours/week. Interns will gain a greater understanding of FMI through challenging project-based work, Spotlight Speaker Series with company executives, and the chance to connect with all employees by attending many company-wide events.
This team is currently working remotely, but when working in office is based in Boston, MA.
• Contribute to methods and algorithms to identify alterations and biomarkers in tumor DNA sequencing and RNA sequencing data derived from clinical cancer specimens.
• Process, analyze, and interpret high volumes of data for the development and validation of methods.
• Present scientific and technical data to colleagues in a clear and cohesive manner.
• Work independently and prepare deliverables and project schedules.
• Other projects as assigned.
• Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university, pursuing a Master’s degree or PhD in biology, computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, or a related field
• Proficient with programming and scripting languages (Python, Java, or R)
• Bachelor’s Degree in biology, computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, or a related field
• Prior experience with next-generation sequencing data
• Strong scientific understanding of molecular biology and genomics
• Demonstrated instances of relevant independent study or projects
• Excellent teamwork and leadership skills demonstrated through a portfolio of graduate study related work, and/or activities
• Strong time management and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently in a multidisciplinary, fast-paced, dynamic, and results-oriented environment
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: Patients, Passion, Innovation and Collaboration
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Foundation Medicine’s commitment to bringing positive learning experiences to students through our Internship Program has not changed in light of Covid-19 restrictions. We have moved our 2021 program to be a virtual one, and are continuing to provide meaningful work to university students. If selected to participate in our virtual Internship Program, you will be given challenging work, robust networking opportunities, and many ways to experience Foundation Medicine’s culture. While we anxiously await the time when we are all able to be together again, we will not let this slow us down. At Foundation Medicine, we are driven to bring our best to patients every day and we look forward to working with the brightest minds.