About the Job
The Corporate Counsel provides legal advice and counsel to the Biopharma and Clinical Operations business units and supports day-to-day initiatives as well as long-term strategies. The role has the primary responsibility of drafting, reviewing, revising, and negotiating a broad range of agreements with biopharma companies and academic medical centers in the areas of genomic profiling, companion diagnostic collaboration, biomarker-driven clinical trial recruitment, and other areas.
• Deliver timely legal advice as needed to Biopharma, Clinical Operations, R&D and other teams.
• Identify potential legal issues and propose solutions to mitigate risk.
• Draft, review, revise, and negotiate a broad range of corporate agreements including, but not limited to, material transfer agreements, research and data-related agreements, agreements pertaining to licensing, services, consulting, supply, confidentiality, collaboration, clinical trial, as well as addenda amendments and statements of work.
• Manage multiple subject matter issues across diverse areas of the company, taking the initiative to identify appropriate subject matter experts and coordinating overall review.
• Identify legal issues, research new legal issues, and provide advice in a manner that integrates legal risk management with FMI’s business objectives.
• Advise on contract interpretation, dispute resolution, and legal risks.
• Develop and maintain strong business relationships across the company and contribute to cross-functional or departmental projects.
• Support the Legal Team’s efforts to effectively manage the delivery of legal services.
• Manage document production requests in connection with litigation matters, including compilation, distribution, associated communications, and record keeping.
• Appropriately triage workflow, set clear priorities and expectations with clients, and efficiently deliver results.
• Operate with limited supervision.
• Independently discern and establish priorities.
• Collaborate with colleagues in the Business Development, Corporate Management and Strategy, Research & Development, Commercial, and Finance functional areas.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Juris Doctor degree from an accredited, top-tier law school
• Admission to any state bar association in the United States
• 4+ years of prior legal experience
• Prior professional experience in-house at a life sciences company, healthcare company, relevant governmental agency, or for a law firm working on healthcare-related matters
• Proven ability/interest in working across a broad range of subject matter areas
• Significant experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating corporate and commercial agreements, including but not limited to licensing, services, IT, research, consulting, clinical trial, and data sharing related agreements
• Expertise in the areas of corporate commercial healthcare and FDA regulatory law and regulation, including with respect to FDA labeling and promotional matters, healthcare fraud and abuse laws, pricing and reimbursement issues, U.S. international transparency laws and regulation, privacy laws, anti-bribery laws, and other laws and regulations related to the development and commercialization of diagnostic products
• Ability to:
• Experience with complex licensing, services, material transfer agreements, and collaboration agreements
• Experience with contract management software
• Prior professional experience advising business partners at all levels of an organization
• Strong legal research and analytical skills
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize numerous requests for assistance and offer superior work product and advice in a timely, thoughtful and complete manner
• Strong presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Sound legal and business judgment with the ability to identify and escalate legal issues when needed
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues in a clear way
• Well-organized with strong planning skills, and high attention to detail
• Track record of successfully influencing business outcomes
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to be a solutions-oriented and collaborative team player
• Unquestioned integrity, credibility, and judgment
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of privacy of patient data
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.