About the Job
The Corporate Counsel III provides legal advice and counsel on multiple subject matter issues to internal partners at all levels within the company’s various business units and supports day-to-day initiatives as well as long-term strategies. The role is also responsible for drafting, reviewing, revising, and negotiating a broad range of corporate and commercial agreements including collaboration, services, licensing, consulting, research collaboration, and data-related agreements.
• Identify legal issues raised by business colleagues, research new legal issues, and provide advice in a manner that integrates legal risk management with FMI's business objectives.
• Draft, review, revise, and negotiate a broad range of corporate and commercial agreements including, but not limited to, collaboration, services, licensing, consulting, research collaboration, and data-related agreements.
• Manage multiple subject matter issues across diverse areas of the company, taking the initiative to identify appropriate subject matter experts and coordinating overall review.
• Act as a partner to business colleagues in considering, developing and executing initiatives relating to FMI products and services.
• Advise on all elements of commercial law (including contract interpretation, dispute resolution, and complex legal risks).
• Counsel internal partners in the negotiation of corporate or commercial agreements, including participation in the negotiation process.
• Provide training to business colleagues on complex legal matters.
• Appropriately triage a heavy workflow, set clear priorities and expectations with clients, and efficiently deliver results.
• Operate with limited supervision on moderately complex projects.
• Independently discern and establish priorities.
• Develop and maintain strong business relationships across the company and contribute to cross-functional or departmental projects.
• Support the Legal Team’s efforts to effectively manage the delivery of legal services.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Juris Doctor degree
• Admission to any state bar association in the United States
• 5+ years of progressive legal experience
• 3+ years of experience at a top-tier law firm
• Experience in-house at a life sciences company, healthcare company, or relevant governmental agency
• Significant experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a broad range of corporate and commercial agreements, including but not limited to collaboration, services, licensing, consulting, research collaboration, and data-related agreements
• Experience with complex collaboration, services, and licensing agreements
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of privacy of patient data
• Understanding of healthcare regulatory law (e.g., healthcare fraud and abuse laws) and its applicability to a commercial organization
• Understanding of FDA promotional and advertising guidance applicable to a medical device manufacturer
• Experience with contract management software
• Prior professional experience advising business partners at all levels of an organization
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize numerous, and sometimes conflicting, requests for assistance and offer superior service in a timely, thoughtful and complete manner
• Proven ability/interest in working across a broad range of subject matter areas
• Track record of successfully influencing business outcomes
• Ability to:
• Strong legal research and analytical skills
• Strong presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Sound legal and business judgment with the ability to identify and escalate legal issues when needed
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues in a clear way
• Well-organized with strong planning skills, and extremely high attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to be a solutions-oriented and a collaborative team player
• Demonstrating of integrity and a commitment to values held at FMI: Patients, Innovation, Collaboration, and Passion
Please be aware that Foundation Medicine mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.