Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About the Job
The Database Engineer III is responsible for all aspects of our AWS database infrastructure in all our environments including design, provisioning, monitoring, automation, and maintenance. This role leads data technology initiatives, manages scalable data architectures, and supports the team’s global master data management strategies, as well as contributing to a variety of complex long-term engineering projects involving multiple disciplines across different business units. The role works on the design, and delivery and operations of the Amazon Web Services (AWS) and on-prem data tech environments across multiple platforms, such as Aurora PostgreSQL, Oracle, MSSQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB, and Time Series Databases to create well optimized, highly available and secure database solutions.
This position also provides coaching and mentorship to the team, as well as design, provision, deployment, monitoring, automation, and maintenance oversight of the platforms.
• Build scalable databases; work closely with Agile development teams across multiple platforms to deploy Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, DynamoDB, Document DB, and Time Series Database into RDS instances / EC2 instances as needed using AWS CloudFormation or Terraform services into all environments to create well optimized, highly available and secure database solutions.
• Help the team grow and mature with Data Governance, International implementation and deployments, integration with internal applications, and creating data sharing opportunities and processes with external customers and partners.
• Maintain uptime on data tech and related systems and define key improvements that enhance productivity, performance and the subsequent effectiveness or impact to patients.
• Explore AWS Services to help the business provide solutions to technical challenges.
• Deliver solutions in an Agile methodology.
• Create and deliver presentations and documentation to the Technology Team and other stakeholders.
• Manage database security for all deployed database instances.
• Provide expertise to engineering teams, for changes during planning through to reviews, to help engineering teams deliver optimal database designs and queries.
• Maintain GIT repositories.
• Improve performance of databases by isolating problematic queries and stored procedures.
• Create and incrementally improve documentation including:
• Perform database maintenance and troubleshooting activities.
• Identify and rectify database errors in a timely manner.
• Prepare documentations regarding database design, configuration, and change management tasks.
• Share knowledge of AWS database and technology solutions with the team to help others develop their skills.
• Be part of a team which rotates on-call coverage to provide business continuity to our internal and external customers.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 4+ years of experience with database technologies
• 3+ years of experience using SQL in Cloud or On-Prem database technologies
• Degree in Computer Science or a related engineering field
• Experience with data management with relational data stores, such as Oracle, SQL Server and PostgreSQL and NoSQL data stores such as Dynamo and DocumentDB
• Experience working in a cloud environment (AWS, Azure)
• Experience working in a regulated environment (HIPAA, SOX, CLIA, FDA)
• Experience with infrastructure as code frameworks such as CloudFormation, Terraform, or other similar products
• Proficiency in managing or designing data technology/relational data systems
• Proficiency with SQL scripting
• Expert in database administration activities – backup, restore, user and role management, object creation, index creation and performance troubleshooting
• Working knowledge of:
• Familiarity with:
• Familiarity with cloud tools and technologies, such as EC2, RDS, S3, DMS, Cloudwatch, CloudTrail, New Relic, Cloud Formation or Terraform scripts, Aurora PostgresQL, Postgres SQL, DynamoDB, Redshift
• Deliver Solutions on time within budget guidelines
• Perform cost benefit analysis when necessary
• Strong interpersonal skills that include developed written and oral communication skills, effective collaboration techniques and the ability to problem solve within a team and cross-functionally
• Strong stakeholder management skills
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Please be aware that Foundation Medicine mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our second annual Hackathon took place virtually this year, providing our employees with the opportunity to pause their daily jobs and creatively problem solve with people from across the company.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.