Every patient sample is a story.
That's why our Lab Ops team is focused on providing physicians with comprehensive genomic information about each person's cancer. Information that's as unique as the patients are. The insights discovered in our labs may help change their story.
About the Job
The Histology Lead performs multifaceted testing in a high complexity clinical diagnostic laboratory. The incumbent trains and develops team members and collaborates with the wider Laboratory Operations Team to move samples effectively through the workflow. This role also completes cutting, mounting, staining, and batching slides. This position can operate independently given deep experience in the function.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from FMI Quality Assurance regarding regulatory guidelines.
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential function of this role.
• Schedule and manage processes of assigned tests or components of the tests in accordance with assay run schedule, accurately, within Turn Around Time (TAT), and always in compliance with written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Operate a microtome to produce slides or curls from paraffin blocks.
• Prepare and initiate samples for nucleic acid extraction.
• Manage sample movement through lab facilities.
• Ensure and maintain molecular safe integrity and quality of the specimens.
• Author and edit relevant SOPs to ensure regulatory compliance and to reflect process improvements.
• Interview, hire, and train incoming laboratory team members to perform tasks relevant to their position, and maintain availability to answer questions or otherwise support less experienced staff members.
• Represent the Histology team in meetings.
• Answer process questions, troubleshoot equipment and facilitate interdepartmental projects.
• Perform data entry with onsite pathologists, including sample quality assessments and measurements.
• Assist in attributing and debulking clinical and research study patient samples.
• Maintain adequate stock and efficient use of supplies necessary for performing all procedures and preparation of reagents as required.
• Maintain proper documentation including proper specimen handling, labeling, and quality control measures.
• Perform quality control testing where required.
• Participate in biohazard, chemical, and general safety and other continuing education programs.
• Own departmental projects.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s Degree
• 5+ years of professional histology experience in a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) / College of American Pathologists (CAP)-certified laboratory
• American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification
• Bachelor of Science Degree in a Biological or Life Science
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skills in written and oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving
• Excellent computer/data entry skills.
• Demonstrated attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Demonstrated experience handling multiple tasks at once
• Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with peers in a fast-paced and cross-functional results-oriented team environment
• Demonstrated experience working within tight timelines for successful execution of project and program goals
• Demonstrated history of working well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Demonstrated history of prioritizing and thoroughly following up on assigned tasks
• Demonstrated history of working in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated history of adapting to changing procedures, policies and work environment
• Ability to perform work in a laboratory environment and in the presence of chemicals and reagents
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Please be aware that Foundation Medicine mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!