Every patient sample is a story.
That's why our Lab Ops team is focused on providing physicians with comprehensive genomic information about each person's cancer. Information that's as unique as the patients are. The insights discovered in our labs may help change their story.
About the Job
The Histology Supervisor is a leadership position on the Laboratory Operations team overseeing the Histology team and associated elements of FMI’s histological processes. The essential functions of this position include providing strategic direction and people management for the team and ensuring turnaround time (TAT) is kept a priority. This position on occasion also performs patient sample microtomy and embedding, equipment maintenance, solution and reagent preparation in addition to other tasks.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from QA on the qualifications for this role pertaining to regulatory guidelines.
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential function of this role.
• Supervise histopathology laboratory employees on day-to-day activities.
• Ensure there are no gaps in coverage during shifts.
• Serve as a technical resource for troubleshooting, problem solving and process improvement to ensure accurate test performance and that histology lab operations are meeting quality goals.
• Support the collection, maintenance, and evaluation of monthly metrics and inventory.
• Assist in the development and execution of training, orientation, and competency efforts for histopathology staff.
• Participate on cross-functional teams to coordinate troubleshooting, process improvements, and to implement new workflows and products.
• Maintain, periodically review, and sign Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Maintain availability to work outside regularly scheduled shift to cover absences of histology personnel.
• Other duties pertaining to histology and laboratory operations as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree in biological or life sciences and 6+ years of histopathology professional experience in a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments or College of American Pathologists (CLIA/CAP) certified laboratory; OR, 10+ years of histopathology professional experience
• 2+ years in a histology role at FMI or, if no FMI experience, 3+ years managing a team
• 3+ years of experience creating laboratory SOPs and working with instrument validation and optimization
• American Society for Clinical Pathology Histotechnician HT(ASCP) or Histotechnologist HTL(ASCP) Certification
• Prior professional experience successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow in a fast-paced environment
• History of leading high functioning teams
• Demonstrated attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Strong interpersonal skills including effective oral and written communication skills
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to reflect FMI's values: Passion, Patients, Innovation, and Collaboration
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!