About the Job
The Histotechnician performs routine testing in FMI’s high complexity clinical diagnostic laboratory and is responsible for receipt of patient samples as well as the preparation of samples for microscopic examination and analysis by Pathology. This role focuses on cutting, mounting, staining, and batching slides.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from FMI Quality Assurance regarding regulatory guidelines.
• Operate a microtome to produce slides or curls from paraffin blocks.
• Prepare and initiate samples for nucleic acid extraction.
• Manage sample movement through lab facilities.
• Ensure and maintain molecular safe integrity and quality of the specimens.
• Author and edit relevant Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and documentation to ensure regulatory compliance and to reflect process improvements.
• Perform data entry with onsite Pathologists including sample quality assessments and measurements.
• Perform routine scanning of stained slides with the Aperio ScanScope.
• Assist in attributing and debulking clinical and research study patient samples.
• Maintain adequate stock and efficient use of supplies necessary for performing all procedures and preparation of reagents as required.
• Maintain proper documentation including proper specimen handling, labeling, and quality control measures.
• Participate in biohazard, chemical, and radiation safety and other continuing education programs.
• Assist with projects under guidance of senior lab personnel.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s Degree
• 1+ year(s) of professional histology experience in a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) / College of American Pathologists (CAP)-certified laboratory
• Bachelor of Science degree in a biological or life science
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skills in written and oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving
• Excellent computer/data entry skills.
• Demonstrated attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Demonstrated experience handling multiple tasks at once
• Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with peers in a fast-paced and cross-functional results-oriented team environment
• Demonstrated experience working within tight timelines for successful execution of project and program goals
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Ability to prioritize and thoroughly follow up on assigned tasks
• Ability to adapt to changing procedures, policies and work environment
• Ability to perform work in a lab environment and in the presence of chemicals and reagents
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.