At Foundation Medicine we look for the best and brightest interns and co-ops who share our hunger for transforming cancer care. Learn more about our 2022 program here.
About the Job
The Intern, Cancer Genomics Research works with the Cancer Genomics team in Research & Development and is involved with the investigation, implementation, and validation of computational methods for the development of clinical diagnostic assays, identification of biomarker signatures, and discovery of novel cancer genomics findings from FMI’s clinical dataset of targeted sequencing, liquid biopsy (ctDNA) specimens, and medical images.
The FMI Internship Program is offered to students currently registered in a degree program. It is a 10-12 week summer commitment, Full Time, 40 hours/week. Interns will gain a greater understanding of FMI through challenging project-based work, Spotlight Speaker Series with company executives, and the chance to connect with all employees by attending many company-wide events.
• Develop, analyze, and test computational methods to enhance FMI’s clinical diagnostic platform and identify novel biomarker signatures.
• Conduct cancer genomics research using FMI’s genomics dataset with the potential to assist in drafting and completing a manuscript for publication.
• Collaborate with biopharma and academic partners on cancer genomics research.
• Develop an independent project related to cancer genomics.
• Other projects as assigned.
• Enrolled in a university program pursuing a Master’s degree or a PhD in a biomedical science, computer science or similar field
• Familiarity with programming/scripting languages such as Python or R
• Proficiency with programming/scripting languages such as Python or R, particularly for genomic data analysis
• Knowledge of cancer biology, genomics, Next Generation Sequencing data analysis, and/or medical image analysis
• Demonstrated research experience in a rigorous academic or industry setting
• Knowledge of machine learning models and algorithms
• Strategic thinker, intellectually curious, problem solver, with a passion for transforming cancer care
• Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills
• Strong listening skills and effective collaboration skills
• Ability to multi-task and remain flexible with changing priorities
• Highly motivated, with a strong work ethic and tenacity
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Please be aware that Foundation Medicine mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
At Foundation Medicine we look for the best and brightest interns who share our hunger for transforming cancer care. Not only will each intern have the opportunity to learn and grow, but we will also learn from our interns as we pursue our passion together. We offer opportunities in departments across the company including: Lab Operations, Cancer Genomics, Data Strategy & Product Development, Technology, and Business Support Services.
"My time as an intern helped shape my career decisions. Seeing the important work done at Foundation Medicine helped me realize that this was the right path for me. After I graduated college in May of 2020, I was offered a full-time position as a Molecular Technician, before being promoted to a Molecular Technologist I. In my current role, I process patient samples by performing DNA digestion, extraction, library construction, and quality control assays."
- Stephanie, Molecular Technologist, Former Laboratory Operations Intern
Learn more about making the most of your internship here.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.