About the Job
The Intern, Lean Operation Excellence is responsible for assisting in driving successful implementation of improvement projects across the enterprise, enabling FMI to continue rapid growth and the drive towards profitability. The position focuses on structured problem-solving, growth and transactional process improvement projects.
The FMI Internship Program is offered to students currently registered in a degree program. It is a 10-12 week summer commitment, Full Time, 40 hours/week. Interns will gain a greater understanding of FMI through challenging project-based work, Spotlight Speaker Series with company executives, and the chance to connect with all employees by attending many company-wide events.
This team is currently working remotely, but when working in office is based in Cambridge, MA.
Foundation Medicine is unable to consider candidates that will require visa sponsorship now, or in the future, for this specific role.
• Change Management
· Assist in driving targeted, sustainable improvement by leveraging consulting skills and change management processes.
· Partner closely with Operational Excellence Manager to implement continuous improvement in targeted areas.
· Assist in the development of improvement roadmaps (i.e., how to use FMI tools and processes to drive sustainable improvement results).
· Support focused deployment of Lean tools across the organization to assure excellence in operational execution.
• Program/Project Management
· Assist with the development and implementation of project plan.
• Communications and Reviews
· Generate team and cross-functional communications (written and oral).
· Provide analysis and other contributions to project phase reviews.
· Track key project metrics.
· Assist in the evaluation of business decisions to the appropriate management teams and/or functional managers.
• Relationship/People Management
· Collaborate with internal and external business partners.
· Promote kaizen methodology.
· Facilitate cross-functional collaboration.
• Process Management
· Develop and maintain audit system for post-event implementation.
· Execute efforts to drive cross-functional systems effectiveness.
• Maintain availability to work outside of a regularly scheduled shift.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Currently a first year MBA student enrolled at an accredited college or university
• Bachelor's Degree in science, engineering or technology field
• 1+ years of experience in process improvement or project management
• 2+ years of experience using Microsoft Office Suite with advanced software proficiency
• Previous experience managing lab development and expansion programs
• Experience working with intercultural teams
• Knowledge of and work experience with Food and Drug Administration regulated products
• Working knowledge of FDA, International Organization for Standardization, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments, and College of American Pathologist regulations
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Foundation Medicine’s commitment to bringing positive learning experiences to students through our Internship Program has not changed in light of Covid-19 restrictions. We have moved our 2021 program to be a virtual one, and are continuing to provide meaningful work to university students. If selected to participate in our virtual Internship Program, you will be given challenging work, robust networking opportunities, and many ways to experience Foundation Medicine’s culture. While we anxiously await the time when we are all able to be together again, we will not let this slow us down. At Foundation Medicine, we are driven to bring our best to patients every day and we look forward to working with the brightest minds.