Every patient sample is a story.
That's why our Lab Ops team is focused on providing physicians with comprehensive genomic information about each person's cancer. Information that's as unique as the patients are. The insights discovered in our labs may help change their story.
About the Job
The Manager, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) oversees environmental, health, and safety related policies, procedures, and programs of FMI for a designated workspace. The position’s scope spans both laboratory and office EHS. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining, reviewing, and implementing EHS procedures specially customized for the unique needs of FMI, and ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies.
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential function of this role.
• Support and foster a culture of EHS excellence through effective communication and employee engagement.
• Conduct regular reviews of safety policies and regulations with the Facilities Team and cross-functionally to implement change.
• Conduct routine inspections of lab and support spaces for unsafe conditions and work practices.
• Develop and perform risk assessments, job hazard analysis, and general EHS assessments as required by the business.
• Develop and coordinate formal annual industrial hygiene monitoring strategies for existing and future procedures to protect our employees and workplaces and maintain regulatory compliance.
• Develop, provide input on, and implement safety policies.
• Conduct incident and accident investigations and root cause analysis; make resolution recommendations.
• Implement corrective and preventative actions and continuous improvement activities as directed.
• Provide routine training, such as the new employee presentation, laboratory safety training, and facility tour.
• Assign and track safety trainings through an online system.
• Track and measure EHS KPI’s and communicate performance to key stakeholders.
• Coordinate communication of EHS requirements and provide vendor training as needed.
• Interface with vendors and monitor performance and adherence to company safety policies and procedures.
• Assist in increasing the level of involvement and effectiveness of the Safety Committee, Ergonomics Program, and all safety plans including Chemical Hygiene, Biological Safety, Emergency Response & Preparedness, and Ergonomics.
• Act as EHS representative for FMI’s Occupational Health Program and provide guidance for this and other initiatives.
• Oversee the contractor safety program, ensuring site specific training requirements are met for all vendors, contractors, and contingent workers.
• Coordinate the site Occupational Health and Ergonomics program, managing and tracking ergonomic requests, evaluations, and equipment.
• Coordinate with a cross functional team on all facility capital projects.
• Participate on the Safety Committee.
• Participate in an on-call rotation that provides 24/7 coverage and emergency response to EHS related incidents.
• Perform additional duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma and 5+ years of experience in an Environmental Health and Safety role; OR,
• Bachelor's Degree and 3+ years of experience in an EH&S role
• Master’s Degree in a relevant field
• Professional certification (CSP, CIH)
• OSHA HAZWOPER Certification
• Completion of ergonomics training
• Completion of first responder training
• Completion of DOT HAZMAT Transportation training
• Membership in local or national professional organization
• Prior Experience:
• Knowledge of Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Hazardous Waste Management
• Knowledge of EHS best practices and vendor management
• Demonstrated ability to manage an emergency response in crisis situations
• Demonstrated understanding of clinical laboratory environment
• Demonstrated application and interpretation of OSHA, EPA, and Cal/OSHA regulations
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers, and clients
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Ability to handle multiple tasks at once and work in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated detail orientation and good problem-solving ability
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills and demonstrated problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!