About the Job
This position will expand and strengthen the FMI Germany team in Penzberg, which currently consists of approx. 50 employees from various functions. Our mission is the preparation, sequencing and analysis of tissue and blood samples from cancer patients to produce a report that supports the personalized treatment of the patient. The start-up mentality and a high degree of team spirit distinguish us from other companies in the field, which is reflected in fast decision making, mutual support and a high degree of trust. For over three years now we have been making a real contribution to the lives of many patients worldwide. In order to continue to do this successfully, we are seeking to add a Manager, Clinical Bioinformatics, to our rapidly growing team in Penzberg, Germany, a leadership position overseeing the analysis and delivery of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data to clinicians, pharmaceutical partners, and academic collaborators.
• Assume responsibility of team developing annotated genomic profiles of somatic aberrations based on massively-parallel sequencing (NGS) data, in the context of studies of cancer-patient samples.
• Review genomic variant calls using proprietary and publicly available tools (e.g Integrative Genomics Viewer) in collaboration with the scientific team.
• Ensure suitable staffing and training as well as supervise and audit for competency of team, including conducting 1:1 meetings, setting performance objectives, and completing semi-annual goal setting and reviews.
• Development, analysis and testing of advanced computational methods to enhance FMI’s clinical diagnostic platform with an emphasis on rigorously validated results and robust procedures to bring methods to the operational level.
• Leadership on new project/franchise initiatives, including international and product developments.
• Provide consultation, technical support, supervision and guidance to clinical analysts and supervisors.
• Oversee daily and weekly operational tasks of Clinical Bioinformatics staff.
• Maintenance and continual improvement of the Computational Biology workflow and procedures and establish and validate new assays for clinical operations according to ISO 15189 standards, including generation of validation plans and reports.
• Collaborate with technical teams in specifying requirements to enhance workflow efficiency and robustness
• Master of Science in Bioinformatics
• 3+ years of cancer genomics experience in an academic or pharmaceutical environment
• PhD in Bioinformatics
• 2+ years of direct management experience over several employees including hiring, performance management and skill development
• 5+ years of cancer genomics experience in an academic or pharmaceutical environment
• Experience with Next-Generation Sequencing data
• Substantive genomics research experience in a rigorous academic setting
• Experience with bioinformatics tools and databases (NCBI, UCSC Genome Browser, IGV)
• Experience with software development and IT
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skills in written communication, oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Solution oriented mindset
• Fluency in German and English is required
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.