About the Job
The Manager, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) oversees environmental, health, and safety related policies, procedures, and programs of FMI for a designated workspace. The position’s scope spans both laboratory and office EHS. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining, reviewing, and implementing EHS procedures specially customized for the unique needs of FMI, and ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies.
• Support and foster a culture of EHS excellence through effective communication and employee engagement.
• Conduct regular reviews of safety policies and regulations with the Facilities Team and cross-functionally to implement change.
• Conduct routine inspections of lab and support spaces for unsafe conditions and work practices.
• Develop and perform risk assessments, job hazard analysis, and general EHS assessments as required by the business.
• Develop and coordinate formal annual industrial hygiene monitoring strategies for existing and future procedures to protect our employees and workplaces and maintain regulatory compliance.
• Develop, provide input on, and implement safety policies.
• Conduct incident and accident investigations and root cause analysis; make resolution recommendations.
• Implement corrective and preventative actions and continuous improvement activities as directed.
• Provide routine training, such as the new employee presentation, laboratory safety training, and facility tour.
• Assign and track safety trainings through an online system.
• Maintain the up-to-date badge access user list.
• Track and measure EHS KPI’s and communicate performance to key stakeholders.
• Coordinate communication of EHS requirements and provide vendor training as needed.
• Interface with vendors and monitor performance and adherence to company safety policies and procedures.
• Assist in increasing the level of involvement and effectiveness of the Safety Committee, Ergonomics Team, and all safety plans including Chemical Hygiene, Biological Safety, Emergency Response & Preparedness, Ergonomics, Crisis Management, and Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity.
• Act as EHS representative for FMI’s Green Team and Wellness Committee and provide guidance for these and other initiatives.
• Oversee the contractor safety program, ensuring site specific training requirements are met for all vendors, contractors, and contingent workers.
• Coordinate the site Occupational Health and Ergonomics program, managing and tracking ergonomic requests, evaluations, and equipment.
• Coordinate with Space Planning for furniture installs during facility expansion projects.
• Participate on the Safety Committee.
• Participate in an on-call rotation that provides 24/7 coverage and emergency response to EHS related incidents.
• Perform additional duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma and 5+ years of experience in an EH&S role; OR,
• Bachelor's Degree and 2+ years of experience in an EH&S role
• Master’s Degree in a relevant field
• Professional certification (CSP, CIH)
• OSHA HAZWOPER Certification
• Completion of ergonomics training
• Completion of first responder training
• Completion of DOT HAZMAT Transportation training
• Membership in local or national professional organization
• Prior Experience:
· With management systems and continual improvement
· Working in a regulated environment, including FDA, CAP, and/or CLIA
· Serving as a core member of the site Incident Response Team
· With bloodborne pathogens policies and regulations
• Knowledge of Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Hazardous Waste Management
• Knowledge of EHS best practices and vendor management
• Demonstrated ability to manage an emergency response in crisis situations
• Demonstrated understanding of clinical laboratory environment
• Demonstrated application and interpretation of OSHA, EPA, and North Carolina DEQ regulations
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers, and clients
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Ability to handle multiple tasks at once and work in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated detail orientation and good problem-solving ability
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills and demonstrated problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.