Every patient sample is a story.
That's why our Lab Ops team is focused on providing physicians with comprehensive genomic information about each person's cancer. Information that's as unique as the patients are. The insights discovered in our labs may help change their story.
About the Job
The Molecular Technician is responsible for solution and reagent preparation, equipment maintenance, monitoring and tracking equipment and run cycle times, maintaining materials stocks in the labs, organizing process document management, and supporting Molecular Technologists in performing the assays. The Molecular Technician may also perform all aspects of complex patient sample testing under direct supervision. This role works one of three established shifts and may be assigned to work any day that the lab is operational.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from QA on the qualifications for this role pertaining to regulatory guidelines.
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential function of this role.
• Performing daily, weekly, monthly, and as needed equipment maintenance checks.
• Maintain “Work In Progress” charts, spreadsheets, run-cycle times, and other documents.
• Maintain cleanliness and organization of labs.
• Communicate inventory of supply and reagent needs.
• Support organization and filing of process batch records/tracking forms.
• Prepare reagents and labware for lab processes supporting Nucleic Acid Extraction, Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) library prep, hybrid capture, and sequencing.
• Under direct supervision of senior lab personnel and in adherence to established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs):
• Review SOPs at set intervals and sign-off to document knowledge of these procedures.
• Adhere to safety protocols, such as wearing laboratory coats and required safety gear.
• Collaborate on standard operating procedures revisions/drafts as needed to adjust for process improvement initiatives and regulatory changes.
• Participate in additional continuous quality improvement activities. Be involved in investigations for non-compliance events via Non-Conformance Report (NCRs), Corrective Action/Preventative Action (CAPAs) and other reports.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or life science (per NYSDOH regulatory requirements)
• Quality System Regulations (QSR) compliant laboratory experience
• Knowledgeable about ensuring and maintaining integrity and quality of the laboratory in the areas of sample processing, equipment maintenance and SOPs
• Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, most specifically Excel and Power Point
• Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols
• Excellent skills of written communication, oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Demonstrated integrity and a commitment to values held at FMI: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
• Ability to:
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of privacy of patient data
• Demonstrated commitment to FMI Values: Patients, Passion, Collaboration and Innovation
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!