About the Job
The Molecular Technologist I performs procedures in a complex patient sample testing process with limited supervision. Most prominently, the position is responsible for solution and reagent preparation, equipment maintenance, and the handling and testing of patient specimens. The incumbent works one of three established shifts and may be assigned to work any day that the lab is operational.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from QA on the qualifications for this role pertaining to regulatory guidelines.
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential function of this role.
• Prepare the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) library.
• Under limited supervision of senior lab personnel and in adherence to established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs):
• Perform workflow that maintains quality, thoroughness, and optimum efficiency for Turn Around Time (TAT).
• Utilize the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to track and execute sample processing.
• Document executed process steps per Good Documentation Practices (GDP).
• Update and maintain records and data on test results per GDP.
• Perform daily, weekly, monthly and as needed equipment maintenance checks.
• Participate in additional continuous quality improvement activities.
• Adhere to safety protocols, such as wearing laboratory coats and required safety gear.
• Maintain organization and cleanliness in the labs.
• Collaborate on SOPs revisions and drafts as needed to adjust for process improvement initiatives and regulatory changes.
• Review SOPs at set intervals and sign-off to document knowledge of these procedures.
• Document and assist with investigations for non-compliance events via Non-Conformance Reports (NCRs), Corrective Action/Preventative Action (CAPAs) and other reports.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor‘s Degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or life science (per NYSDOH regulatory requirements)
• 1+ years of molecular laboratory work experience in a CAP/CLIA regulated lab
• Certifications or licensure that is required by the state or county in which the job is posted
• Molecular Biology American Society of Clinical Pathology (MB-ASCP) Certification
• Quality System Regulations (QSR) compliant laboratory experience
• Familiarity of and experience working with DNA manipulation techniques, enzymatic reactions, and sequencing chemistry
• Familiarity with high throughput platforms and common molecular laboratory equipment (such as pipettes, thermocyclers, and liquid handlers)
• Experience with Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
• Experience ensuring and maintaining integrity and quality of the laboratory in the areas of sample processing, equipment maintenance, and SOPs
• Knowledge about laboratory safety protocols
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, most specifically Excel and Power Point
• Excellent skills of written communication, oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s Values: Patients, Passion, Collaboration, and Innovation
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!