About the Job
The Molecular Technologist II position is a key member of the clinical diagnostic laboratory operations staff responsible for performing all aspects of complex patient sample testing, solution and reagent preparation, equipment maintenance and tasks that pertain to the handling and testing of patient specimens. The Molecular Technologist II is cross functionally trained to perform multiple process steps and/or assays and may provide on the job training to colleagues. This position requires working in the regular presence of chemicals and regents. Molecular Technologists are assigned to one of three shifts and may be assigned to work any day that the lab is operational. This role will work the 3rd shift from Tues-Sat 11:00pm-7:30am.
• Perform patient sample testing in a manner that adheres to all established standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Perform testing workflow that maintains quality, thoroughness, and optimum efficiency result turnaround time.
• Extract and isolate nucleic acids.
• Prepare the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) library.
• Execute hybridization and genetic sequencing methods.
• Process samples by operating automated 8-span and 96-head liquid handling platforms.
• Operate quantification, sizing, and NGS instruments.
• Utilize the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to track and execute sample processing.
• Perform daily, weekly, monthly and as needed equipment maintenance checks.
• Document executed process steps per Good Documentation Practices (GDP). Update and maintain records and data on test results per GDP.
• Document and assist with investigations for non-compliance events via NCRs, CAPAs, etc.
• Participate in additional continuous quality improvement activities.
• Review standard operating procedures at set intervals and sign to document knowledge of these procedures.
• Collaborate on standard operating procedures revisions/drafts as needed to adjust for process improvement initiatives and regulatory changes.
• Train others in laboratory processes.
• Participate in reagent and assay quality control and validations.
• Update and maintain records and data on test results.
• Monitor and communicate inventory of supply and reagent needs as they diminish.
• Other duties and projects pertinent to level of expertise as assigned.
• Bachelors of Science Degree in a chemical, physical, biological or life sciences
• Certifications or licensure that is required by the state or county in which the job is posted
• 2+ years of molecular work experience in a CAP/CLIA regulated lab
• Molecular Biology American Society of Clinical Pathology (MB-ASCP) Certification
• Quality System Regulations (QSR) compliant laboratory experience
• Familiarity and/or experience working with DNA manipulation techniques, enzymatic reactions, and sequencing chemistry
• Familiarity with high throughput platforms and common molecular laboratory equipment (such as pipettes, thermocyclers, and liquid handlers)
• Experience with Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
• Experience ensuring and maintaining integrity and quality of the laboratory in the areas of sample processing, equipment maintenance and SOPs
• Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, most specifically Excel and Power Point
• Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols
• Excellent skills of written communication, oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Ability to:
· Work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor both as an individual contributor and in a team
· Prioritize and thoroughly follow up on assigned tasks
· Handle multiple tasks at once and work in a fast-paced environment
· Adapt to changing procedures, policies, and work environment
· Work in the presence of chemicals and reagents in a laboratory environment
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI’s Values: Patients, Passion, Collaboration, and Innovation
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!