About the Job
The Molecular Technologist II position is a key member of the clinical diagnostic laboratory operations staff responsible for performing all aspects of complex patient sample testing, solution and reagent preparation, equipment maintenance and tasks that pertain to the handling and testing of patient specimens. The Molecular Technologist II is cross functionally trained to perform multiple process steps and/or assays and may provide on the job training to colleagues. This position requires working in the regular presence of chemicals and regents. Molecular Technologists are assigned to one of three shifts and may be assigned to work any day that the lab is operational.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from QA on the qualifications for this role pertaining to regulatory guidelines.
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential function of this role.
• Perform patient sample testing in a manner that adheres to all established standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Perform testing workflow that maintains quality, thoroughness, and optimum efficiency result turnaround time.
• Extract and isolate nucleic acids.
• Prepare the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) library.
• Execute hybridization and genetic sequencing methods.
• Process samples by operating automated 8-span and 96-head liquid handling platforms.
• Operate quantification, sizing, and NGS instruments.
• Utilize the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to track and execute sample processing.
• Perform daily, weekly, monthly and as needed equipment maintenance checks.
• Document executed process steps per Good Documentation Practices (GDP). Update and maintain records and data on test results per GDP.
• Document and assist with investigations for non-compliance events via NCRs, CAPAs, etc.
• Participate in additional continuous quality improvement activities.
• Review standard operating procedures at set intervals and sign to document knowledge of these procedures.
• Collaborate on standard operating procedures revisions/drafts as needed to adjust for process improvement initiatives and regulatory changes.
• Train others in laboratory processes.
• Participate in reagent and assay quality control and validations.
• Update and maintain records and data on test results.
• Monitor and communicate inventory of supply and reagent needs as they diminish.
• Other duties and projects pertinent to level of expertise as assigned.
• Bachelors of Science Degree in a chemical, physical, biological or life sciences
• Certifications or licensure that is required by the state or county in which the job is posted
• 2+ years of molecular work experience in a CAP/CLIA regulated lab
• Molecular Biology American Society of Clinical Pathology (MB-ASCP) Certification
• Quality System Regulations (QSR) compliant laboratory experience
• Familiarity and/or experience working with DNA manipulation techniques, enzymatic reactions, and sequencing chemistry
• Familiarity with high throughput platforms and common molecular laboratory equipment (such as pipettes, thermocyclers, and liquid handlers)
• Experience with Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
• Experience ensuring and maintaining integrity and quality of the laboratory in the areas of sample processing, equipment maintenance and SOPs
• Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, most specifically Excel and Power Point
• Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols
• Excellent skills of written communication, oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Ability to:
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI’s Values: Patients, Passion, Collaboration, and Innovation
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
The past twelve months have been beyond exceptional and nobody can deny the impacts the global corona pandemic had on our daily lives. However, there were many positives. Our working environment had to quickly adapt to the new situation and employers and employees just the same had to accommodate to the new circumstances. Continued or exclusive work from remote has become “the new normal” – and to everyone’s surprise, it is working just as well.
Learn more from Vera , VP, International Operations & Managing Director Foundation Medicine GmbH.
Foundation Medicines European subsidiary is located within the Roche Campus in Penzberg, Germany, just a couple of miles south of Munich. Roche Penzberg is one of Europe’s largest biotechnology centers, employing around 6,200 people from over 50 nations.
In addition to laboratory operations, the site functions as hub for internal collaborations and partnerships. The central location in Europe and within the Penzberg campus allow for a strong synergy between Foundation Medicine, various national and international partners and Roche.
The Foundation Medicine team in Penzberg consists of several groups, such as Laboratory Operations, Client Services & Accessioning, Computational Biology, Quality Assurance, Automation Engineering, Project management, Finance and IT. Many of the Roche amenities on campus can also be used by Foundation Medicine employees, such as the gym, canteen, and bus services.
Learn more about our German location from our Project Manager, Barbara.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!