Every patient sample is a story.
That's why our Lab Ops team is focused on providing physicians with comprehensive genomic information about each person's cancer. Information that's as unique as the patients are. The insights discovered in our labs may help change their story.
About the Job
The Molecular Technologist III is responsible for performing all aspects of complex patient sample testing, such as solution and reagent preparation, equipment maintenance, and tasks that pertain to the handling and testing of patient specimens, without direct supervision. The Molecular Technologist III is cross-functionally trained to perform all process steps and/or assays and assists with more complex troubleshooting or problem solving. The position provides on-the-job training to colleagues and also has responsibilities external to patient specimen processing that are project based or supporting qualification and validation activities.
The incumbent works one of three established shifts and may be assigned to work any day that the lab is operational.
• Prepare the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) library.
• In adherence to established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs):
• Perform workflow that maintains quality, thoroughness and optimum efficiency for Turn Around Time (TAT).
• Utilize the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to track and execute sample processing.
• Document executed process steps per Good Documentation Practices (GDP).
• Update and maintain records and data on test results per GDP.
• Perform daily, weekly, monthly and as needed equipment maintenance checks.
• Participate in additional continuous quality improvement activities.
• Adhere to safety protocols, such as wearing laboratory coats and required safety gear.
• Maintain organization and cleanliness in the labs.
• Collaborate on SOPs revisions and drafts as needed to adjust for process improvement initiatives and regulatory changes.
• Review SOPs at set intervals and sign-off to document knowledge of these procedures.
• Document and assist with investigations for non-compliance events via Non-Conformance Reports (NCRs), Corrective Action/Preventative Action (CAPAs) and other reports.
• Train others in laboratory processes.
• Participate in reagent and assay quality control and validations and in additional continuous quality improvement activities.
• Update and maintain records and data on test results.
• Monitor and communicate inventory of supply and reagent needs as they diminish.
• Assist with implementation of new instruments, equipment and assays.
• Guide continuous quality improvement activities.
• Collect and publish routine processing and operational metrics and execute countermeasures to ensure daily processing goals are met.
• Ensure operational efficiency by assisting with shift schedule updates.
• Other duties and projects pertinent to level of expertise as assigned.
• Bachelor‘s Degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or life science (per NYSDOH regulatory requirements)
• 3+ years of molecular laboratory work experience in a CAP/CLIA regulated lab
• Certifications or licensure that is required by the state or county in which the job is postedPreferred Qualifications
• Molecular Biology American Society of Clinical Pathology (MB-ASCP) Certification
• Quality System Regulations (QSR) compliant laboratory experience
• 3+ years of experience working with:
• Experience ensuring and maintaining integrity and quality of a laboratory in the areas of sample processing, equipment maintenance and SOPs
• Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, most specifically Excel and Power Point
• Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols
• Excellent skills of written communication, oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Ability to:
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• A demonstrated commitment to FMI’s Values: Patients, Passion, Collaboration, and Innovation
Please be aware that Foundation Medicine mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law. Also, please feel free to upload or attach any official or unofficial educational transcripts that will help verify your ability to work in a lab. Please note that, if hired, official educational transcripts will need to be submitted.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!