Our Medical team’s culture of curiosity and service supports its mission to ensure that each patient receives the right treatment for their unique cancer.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
The Pathologist is involved in all aspects of FMI’s laboratory operations and serves as an internal subject matter expert, applying medical knowledge to advise decisionmakers in support of FMI’s mission to transform cancer care. The Pathologist is responsible for review and approval of documentation and reports, supporting clinical testing strategies, as well as new assay development and validation. The Pathologist also serves as an ambassador for comprehensive genomic profiling through education and research efforts within and external to FMI.
This position is part-time (under 20 hours per week) and may be assigned to work during any time that the laboratory is operational including evening and/or weekend hours.
• Participate in specimen review for all clinical and biopharma testing performed at FMI including FoundationOneCDx, FoundationOneHeme, and FoundationOneLiquid assays.
• Review Hematoxylin and Eosin stain (H&E) stained slides for specimen adequacy prior to next-generation sequencing and immunohistochemistry testing.
• Interact with the information technology teams to ensure appropriate functioning of software tools and integrity of clinical data and reports.
• Assist in the development, training, and orientation of laboratory personnel in pathology review.
• Maintain availability to work during times that the laboratory is operational including evening and/or weekend hours.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Doctor of Medicine Degree
• Active Medical Licensure
• Formal pathology training
• American Board of Pathology – Anatomic Pathology Certification
• 1+ years of experience evaluating images, including developing and running assays
• Subspecialty training and/or expertise in cancer biology, genomics or clinical trials
• Strong history of achievement demonstrated by leadership activities, publications, presentations or other activities
• Collaboration skills and the ability to effectively communicate (written and oral) with internal and external team members on project activities
• Process-oriented, flexible mindset and approach to creative problem solving
• Demonstrated history of cross-functional leadership and/or participation in cross-functional teams
• Demonstrated ability of meeting deadlines
• Understanding of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the importance of patient data privacy
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Ability to self-organize and operate effectively without day-to-day oversight, while staying tightly connected to key leaders and teams across the collaborations
• Ability to work in a laboratory environment in the presence of chemicals and reagents
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: innovation, patients, collaboration, and passion
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Shakti, Foundation Medicine’s Senior Director of Pathology, and Senior Associate Medical Director, discusses the direct link between his daily work and making a positive impact for people with cancer. Hear a about a day in the life of a Pathologist at Foundation Medicine.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!