Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About the Job
The Principal Cloud Engineer Engineer sits on the Platforms team within FMI’s Technology Team and is responsible for leading the High Performance Grid Computing cloud initiative, managing a scalable data lifecycle storage architecture, developing cloud global operations strategy, and contributing to a variety of complex long-term engineering projects involving multiple disciplines across different business units. The role works on the design, delivery and operations of the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud environment as well as all aspects of FMI’s design, provision, deployment, monitoring, automation, and maintenance of the platform. As a more experienced position the incumbent provides coaching and mentorship to the team
• Maintain uptime on systems and define key improvements that enhance productivity, performance and the subsequent effectiveness or impact to patients.
• Lead research efforts for new technology and how to effectively integrate into FMI’s existing enterprise platform.
• Assist development teams with application and infrastructure from initial design to production deployment.
• Create, review, modify, and update AWS CloudFormation and Jenkinsfile scripts.
• Work with the Development and Operations Teams to streamline continuous integration and continuous deployments of our internal applications.
• Architect and implement solutions to streamline business processes that achieve company goals more effectively and efficiently.
• Deliver solutions in an Agile methodology.
• Create and deliver presentations and documentation to the Technology Team.
• Coach and mentor the team’s less experienced Engineers.
• Other projects as periodically assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 7+ years of work experience with cloud computing
• 4+ years of project work experience using or related to Amazon Web Service (AWS)
• Degree in Computer Science or a related engineering field
• Expertise in managing or designing cloud deployment software
• Working knowledge of:
· Cloud architecture, networking, system administration, and security best practices
· Both Linux (RHEL and CentOS) and Windows environments.
· Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
· Simple Storage Service (S3)
· Elastic Block Store (EBS)
· Elastic File System (EFS)
• Experience with:
· CloudFormation, Terraform, or similar iterative template creation experience
· Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or other automation tools
· GitHub and other source control solutions
· Network File System
· Server Message Block
· Docker and container services
· Windows automation
· Scripting in Powershell
· Monitoring tools DataDog, New Relic APM and Infrastructure, PagerDuty, and ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana)
· Jenkins, CloudFormation, Puppet, Chef, Ancible, TerraForm, or other similar products
· Nix and other mixed operating systems
· Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) processes and toolsets
• Practical exposure to architectural principles behind DB technologies such as Microsoft SQL, MYSQL, Oracle, NOSQL and how they fit into an overall solution
• Solid understanding of Python, JSON, XML, and related notational data representations
• Hands-on experience with infrastructure tools such as VMware, Docker, and Swarm
• Extensive knowledge of application programming interfaces (APIs), RESTful services and how they can be used to integrate with AWS
• Experience designing and scripting “self-healing” cloud architecture
• Familiarity with the Atlassian toolset including Jira and Confluence
• Strong interpersonal skills that include developed written and oral communication skills, effective collaboration techniques and the ability to problem solve within a team and cross-functionally
• Strong stakeholder management skills
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of privacy of patient data
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!