Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join our Integrations team within Data Technology Products. This group works to integrate FMI’s systems with various external partners to ensure our tests and data can help our partners make more informed treatment decisions. This position is responsible for building and supporting FMI software applications and related components, namely externally facing APIs and applications supporting FMI’s customers and partners. This position completes design, development, unit testing, code reviews, and development of technical documentation for products that help doctors match patients to advanced treatment options. Code created in this position is to be reusable, testable, efficient, clean and well commented.
Develop FMI’s software in use by the business, specifically the Technical Products suite
· Design custom programs and applications designated by business need
· Lead cross-functional meetings with project managers, end users, and other internal and external stakeholders at pre-set intervals to gather information for requirements
· Define and document architecture, functional, and design requirements
· Develop formal technical specifications based upon requirements captured
· Engineer installation qualifications and operational qualifications
· Perform testing of code and work prior to implementation
· Define and participate in software development processes that leverages best practice and supports continuous product delivery
· Participate in and conduct regular peer design and code reviews
· Conform to coding conventions and all aspects of the software development life cycle
· Design initiatives that ensure applications integrate seamlessly with other programs in-use at FMI, including Customer Relationship Management tools, Medical Reporting systems, billing systems and the Laboratory Information Management System
· Participate in, and periodically lead, scrum ceremonies
· Provide software engineering expertise and support to the business
· Act as a technical and team leader:
o Assume ownership of the technical scope and business domain of the team
o Mentor and coach less experienced Software Engineers
o Help the team define, maintain, and conform to coding conventions and all aspects of the software development life cycle
o Facilitate projects
· Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 7+ years of prior software engineering experience, including 3+ years of experience working with Amazon Web Services or a similar cloud platform
• 1+ year(s) of prior experience managing direct reports
· Bachelor’s and/or Advanced Degree in Software Engineering, Programming, Computer Science or related field
· AWS (or similar cloud platform) certifications
· Prior professional experience writing software in a cloud environment with AWS or a similar cloud platform, including to deploy and maintain deployment of software and other automated processes
· Solid knowledge of HTML/CSS
o with SQL and/or SQL type database technologies (Postgres)
· Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes, and containerization/containerized deployment of software
· Understanding of Agile software delivery
· Excellent presentation skills and basic knowledge of presentation software
· Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow
· Demonstrated history of a strong work ethic and of meeting project deadlines
· Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic, collaborative team environment
· Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skill in collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent organization and attention to detail
· Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy
· Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: Passion, Patients, Innovation, and Collaboration
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI's EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!