Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
The Principal Software Engineer within a team on the Technology department is an advanced, specialized leadership position writing software that makes cancer data accessible to clinicians, researchers and patients. This position is responsible for participating in development team activities as well as maintenance and support tasks for FMI’s internal business systems leveraging agile principles and the goal of continuous delivery. As a senior position, the Principal Software Engineer provides technical leadership and mentoring to junior team members; collaborates and participates in technical design efforts; and is instrumental in ensuring accurate, innovative and low-defect software solutions.
• Create, design and support custom applications that integrate seamlessly with other business applications (such as Customer Relationship Management, Medical Reporting, Billing, Laboratory Information Management Systems).
• Capture requirements and business needs from end users, then develop formal technical specifications and solutions that address identified areas.
• Research key technologies and partner in driving business transformation through the adoption and implementation of these key technologies.
• Develop best practices and technology standards and help drive implementation and adherence throughout the development team.
• Help define and participate in software development processes that leverages best practice and supports continuous product delivery.
• Assist in the management of a dynamic software engineer team to help drive sound engineering design, process, quality practices and to perform acceptance engineering.
• Mentor and develop junior software engineering and development team members by answering questions and establishing best coding and engineering practices.
• Work closely with product owners, key business and technical stakeholders to ensure FMI is building the best products.
• Ensure the maintainability and quality of the product code base by helping establish clear technical roadmaps geared toward reducing future technical debt.
• Evaluate new technologies and software products to determine feasibility and desirability of incorporating their capabilities into the platform.
• Maintain an agile and scrum environment to deliver new innovative products.
• Participate in and conduct regular peer design, code reviews, and knowledge sharing sessions.
• Provide individual hands-on developer contributions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 8+ years of technical experience in all aspects of software engineering
• Proficiency in Java, Python or C#
• Master’s Degree in Software Engineering
• Technology Certifications
• Extensive study in software engineering, computer science or computer systems engineering
• 10+ years of experience with specific areas of software engineering pertinent to assigned system
• 5+ years in building production quality software using C#
• 3+ years leading a technical team of full stack engineers and developing multi-tier web applications
• 3+ years’ experience with Microsoft Dynamics or Salesforce
• 3+ years’ experience with developing on Cloud Platform (Azure, AWS)
• Familiarity with HTTP web services and Git version control system
• Experience with Data Integrations
• Experience working with relational databases, such as Structured Query Language (SQL), Object-Relational Mapping (ORM), and query tuning, as well as DevOps tools and processes
• Experience with at least one:
· Unit test framework (Mocha or Jasmine); and,
· One E2E testing frameworks (Selenium or Protractor)
• Strong understanding of RESTFul API development
• Experience capturing requirements from end users and developing formal technical specifications
• Full understanding of agile development practices
• Some familiarity with molecular biology and genomics
• Track record of creating, leading and managing high performing engineering teams
• Familiarity and ability to comply with regulated development environments, including regulations established by the Food and Drug Administration, United States Department of Agriculture and other applicable regulatory bodies
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow
• Demonstrated ability of meeting project deadlines and of working in a dynamic, fast paced team environment
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skill in collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to reflect FMI's values: passion, patients, innovation, and collaboration
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.