Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
The Product Owner assists in forming and executing the product vision, with a focus on ensuring that FMI’s products meet the needs of our business partners and stakeholders. In this role, you will help drive delivery and enhancement of FMI’s data products, which consist of hundreds of thousands of genomic profiles of tumors, images of histological sections, and clinical outcomes data. The product owner will work with a software development team to coordinate data delivery and ensure that products meet the scientific and technical standards necessary to support research initiatives and submissions to regulatory agencies. By serving as the product owner on a high velocity scrum team, this position is responsible for understanding both the needs of the business and the software applications in detail to facilitate communication between software development teams, internal stakeholders, and external partners.
• Write clear and detailed technical user stories based on user feedback and project goals, collaborate and communicate feature requests to teams in a fast paced, Agile environment.
• Actively manage the team's backlog and elaborate on user stories where needed.
• Document product requirements and execute upon initiatives to ensure the requirements meet the needs of the business and larger corporate initiatives.
• Coordinate and participate in development activities including daily standups, backlog grooming, retrospectives, sprint planning, and other scrum ceremonies.
• Answer technical questions from developers, scrum masters, or others on the team to remove blockers and facilitate efficient development.
• Break down complex business needs into smaller, more digestible chunks of work.
• Collaborate with Product Manager to build and track the Product Vision.
• Provide guidance and support to external teams and business partners on product capabilities and product roadmap.
• Coordinate with stakeholders and Quality Assurance Team to build User Acceptance Testing (UAT) plans, define UAT approach, and represent requirements as user stories with clear acceptance criteria.
• Interface with the User Experience Team to translate requirements into mocks.
• Assist in preparing status updates and presentations.
• Compile software validation documentation.
• Assist in testing the application based on understanding of necessary functionality and user requirements.
• Assist onboarding new resources and introducing them to products and product goals.
• Communicate and negotiate with the business to set and maintain priorities.
• Assist the ScrumMaster in project management and planning.
• Support roadmap development for the product and its execution.
• Facilitate and guide requirements definition workshops with key client application users.
• Lead requirement gathering efforts on:
· Legacy systems; and,
· Application Mapping
• Continuously build, refine and prioritize a product backlog.
• Participate in the Scrum Team process as motivator and individual contributor.
• Quickly respond to questions and requests from the Scrum Team to ensure team sprint commitments are met.
• Transform business requirements to clear and comprehensive functional specifications.
• Communicate with stakeholders regarding product and services feedback, feature requests, and gathering customer requirement.
• Analyze and track key performance indicators of existing and new features to evaluate usefulness to the customer.
• Other duties as periodically assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a life science, computer science, technology, mathematics, engineering or a related discipline
• 2+ years of experience as a Product Owner Product Analyst, Business Analyst, Technical Analyst, or Associate Product Manager in a software or technically oriented business environment
• Experience working with genomics data and knowledge of community standards (e.g., HGVS). Involvement in a scientific project using such data is highly desired.
• 1+ years working in a life sciences environment and/or with software products developed for Quality or Clinical Laboratory processes
• Product Owner (CSPO) Certification
• Experience translating customer needs/feature requests into detailed technical specifications
• Professional experience in Agile information technology and/or software engineering
• Experience working in a software development environment that complies with International Electrotechnical Commission specification 62304, Food and Drug Administration Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 Part 11, and General Data Protection Regulation
• Familiarity with Jira, Confluence, Balsamiq, LucidChart, Visio, and Microsoft Dynamics CRM
• Strong analytical, technical, problem solving and organizational skills
• Proven time management and organization skills. Demonstrated history of successfully meeting deadlines, prioritizing workload, and handling multiple competing complex projects simultaneously
• Strong listening, communication and interpersonal skills in verbal and writing form
• History of collaborating within cross-functional teams and building strong relationships across functional areas within an organization
• Exposure to molecular biology and genetics laboratory processes
• Proactive, able to anticipate challenges before they arise
• History of self-organizing, effective operations without significant day-to-day oversight
• Ability to perform careful, detail-oriented work under deadline pressure
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.