About the Job
The Scientific Copy Editor is integrated within a team of scientists to carry out scientific editing tasks, organizational tasks, operational tasks, and literature research in support of Foundation Medicine’s medical reporting process. This position is responsible for the proofreading and stylistic editing of reports to enhance the creation of a high-quality, personalized diagnostic report for each patient. The Scientific Copy Editor engages in close consultation with scientific curators to facilitate the creation of a report that is concise, informative, and physician-focused.
• Proofread clinical reports for spelling, grammar, style, and overall quality.
• Perform copy editing and formatting for scientific content.
• Liaise with internal stakeholders quickly to resolve technical issues and questions that arise during report preparation.
• Triage on-call requests directed towards the Translational Oncology and Clinical Reporting team.
• Collect and analyze clinical reporting and operational metrics.
• Execute QA documentation (e.g. non-conformance reports, memos, etc) as needed.
• Complete additional writing, organizational, and operational projects as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 1+ year(s) of editing and/or proofreading experience
• Background or degree in the biological sciences
• 2+ years of experience editing and/or proofreading experience in medical or scientific content
• Work experience involving scientific and/or medical communications
• Demonstrated history of creativity and innovation
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal skills that include written communication, oral communication, collaboration, and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Strong skills of analysis, administration, and problem solving
• Extreme attention to detail
• Ability to:
· Meet project deadlines
· Perform assignments with minimal supervision
· Work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
· Prioritize and thoroughly follow up on assigned tasks
· Handle multiple tasks at once and work in a fast-paced environment
· Adapt to changing procedures, policies and work environment
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to values held at FMI: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.