The Research and Development team at Foundation Medicine is constantly pushing the envelope to transform cancer care.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
The Scientist, Cancer Genomics position sits within the Research & Early Development team in the Product Development group and is responsible for working on discovery projects to establish correlations between genotype and phenotype. Using a variety of phenotypic measures, the role supports the discovery of novel biomarkers, drug sensitivity, resistance signatures, and genomic alterations involved in tumorigenesis. The primary functions rely on leveraging FoundationCORE, FMI’s 300,000+ tumor sample dataset, to investigate novel cancer gene alterations (including annotation using publicly-available online resources such as UniProt and The Cancer Genome Atlas Program) and prepare scientific manuscripts.
• Develop and evaluate potential biomarkers using FoundationCORE.
• Determine when statistical analysis is needed and apply the analysis.
• Use a computer cluster to analyze genomic signatures on historical samples.
• Communicate with Biopharma partners and internal departments as needed to define specifics of cancer mutations and other related scientific queries.
• Perform queries for Biopharma partners and return results.
• Utilize cancer genomics expertise to investigate genomic mechanisms of oncogenesis.
• Integrate appropriate clinical data with Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) output.
• Work collaboratively with internal colleagues to refine analysis algorithms and methods.
• Contribute scientific expertise to broader projects within the Research and Development team.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field and 3+ years of research experience preferred in the life sciences industry; OR,
• Master’s and 2+ research experience preferred in the life sciences industry; OR,
• PhD and no experience
• 1+ years of industry or post-doctorate experience within Cancer Biology, Bioinformatics, Biochemistry, or another related life science
• 1+ years of industry or post-doctorate research experience with cancer genomics and/or next-generation sequencing principles
• Familiarity with one or more of the following scientific computing languages: Python, R, Matlab, or Java
• Familiarity with clinical nomenclature including stage, grade, ECOG, and the patient journey in oncology
• Familiarity with basic statistics
• Experience working with publicly available datasets, such as TCGA
• Ability to analyze and critically interpret scientific literature
• Effective oral and written communication skill
• Excellent writing skills and the desire to contribute to scientific manuscripts and abstracts
• Reliability, high ethical standards and integrity
• Translational research experience
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!