The Research and Development team at Foundation Medicine is constantly pushing the envelope to transform cancer care.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
The Scientist I, Companion Diagnostics (CDx) role supports the full product development lifecycle, from concept through commercial launch, of new Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)-based assays under 21 CFR part 820 Quality System Regulations (QSR) Design Control. The position contributes to laboratory and documentation activities in collaboration with a cross-functional team to verify and validate product requirements, assay design, and assay performance. The position also performs validation test planning as well as hands-on execution in the laboratory.
Regular onsite work at a designated FMI location is an essential function of this role.
• Prepare and handle biological specimens including blood, plasma, formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded samples, and extracted nucleic acids.
• Execute development, verification, and validation studies for novel diagnostic NGS assays.
• Process and manage samples using automated workflows and Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
• Lead training and performance qualification testing during technology transfer between the product development and laboratory operations teams.
• Author Performance Qualification (PQ) and Process Performance Qualification (PPQ) study protocols.
• Author detailed, accurate, and accessible records of experimental data, present results at group meetings, to external collaborators, and preparation of reports for submission to regulatory agencies (FDA).
• Analyze and compile data for preparation of study reports and generate study reports.
• Prepare and organize study reagents.
• Prepare and document design control documentation, CDx assay requirements, functional specifications, performance and study results, and other data in a QSR-compliant manner.
• Partner collaboratively with the Quality Assurance and Regulatory teams to ensure that all procedural and submission documentation meets audit and accreditation standards.
• Establish and validate performance parameters, quality control, and stability specifications for critical reagents.
• Support the timely processing and reporting of oncology samples to internal and external collaborators.
• Conduct investigations and analyses to troubleshoot and improving assay capabilities, enhance technical robustness and existing methods.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a life science and 5+ years of directly related industry experience
• Alternatively, Master’s Degree in a life science plus 2+ years of directly related industry experience
• Ability to work in a laboratory environment where chemicals and regents are present
• PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics or Cancer Genetics
• Current California Clinical Laboratory Science or Clinical Molecular Biology license
• Experience with molecular biology techniques and an understanding of the practices and principals of NGS, including DNA-seq and target-enrichment
• Experience in the development and/or implementation of genomic assays in a regulated environment including writing standard operating procedures, validation protocols and reports
• Experience with robotic liquid handlers, lab automation and instrumentation (especially Hamilton)
• Experience developing, implementing and supporting high complexity clinical assays in a regulated environment (such as with Food and Drug Administration-QSR, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments, College of American Pathologists, and International Organization for Standardization regulations)
• Experience writing standard operating procedures (SOPs) validation protocols and data reports
• Track record of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow with timely completion ahead of deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced team environment
• Strong cross-functional collaboration and problem solving skills
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of privacy of patient data
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!