The Senior Contracts Specialist is responsible for independently reviewing, drafting, and negotiating various types of contracts; processing contract reviews and approvals using FMI’s contract management system; implementing process enhancements; managing legal projects; and supporting day-to-day initiatives as well as long-term strategies. The role has the primary responsibility of drafting, reviewing, revising and negotiating a broad range of corporate, operational and commercial agreements, which may have data use, privacy and security implications.
• Independently review, draft, and negotiate a broad range of corporate agreements in connection with FMI’s day-to-day activities including, but not limited to, supply, licensing, professional services, master services, consulting, confidentiality/non-disclosure, collaboration, research, material transfer, data sharing/transfer, data processing and other data-related agreements, IT (e.g., cloud, SaaS subscriptions, etc.) as well as other ancillary contractual documentation such as quality agreements, addenda, amendments and statements of work.
• Identify potential legal issues, research as needed and propose solutions to mitigate risk.
• Manage multiple subject matter issues across diverse areas of the company, taking the initiative to identify appropriate subject matter experts and coordinate overall review.
• Provide timely advice to internal partners and colleagues (including but not limited to, advising on contract interpretation, dispute resolution and legal risks) in a professional manner that integrates legal risk management with FMI’s business objectives.
• Appropriately triage a heavy workflow, independently discern and establish priorities, set clear expectations with internal partners, and efficiently deliver results.
• Develop and maintain strong business relationships across the company and contribute to collaborative cross-functional and/or departmental projects.
• Input, manage, and track the contract process from initial contract request through execution and storage using FMI’s contract management system.
• Serve as primary contact for internal partners during negotiations and provide status updates.
• Manage the receipt and tracking of documents required for compliance with government contracts.
• Develop and enhance contract processes, including receipt of requests, review, authorization, signatures, and related workflows.
• Prepare and populate agreements using FMI standard templates.
• Updating and maintaining standard contract templates customary to FMI’s day-to-day activities.
• Assist with reporting on contracts metrics, expiration/renewal, and other reporting requests.
• Assist with responding to mail, telephone, electronic and in-person contracting inquiries.
• Engage members of the Legal team as needed to ensure contract compliance with applicable laws and regulations and FMI policies, procedures, and contracting standards.
• Support the Legal team’s efforts to effectively manage the delivery of legal services in a timely manner.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 5+ years of experience working in a contracts management or paralegal role with direct experience reviewing, drafting, redlining, and negotiating various types of contracts
• Juris Doctor (strongly preferred) or similar post-graduate degree
• Paralegal Certificate
• Professional work experience:
• Sound legal and business judgment with the ability to identify and escalate legal issues as needed
• History of working effectively, efficiently, and professionally with a wide variety of internal and external parties at all levels and influencing outcomes through effective leadership skills
• Flexibility and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, prioritize numerous requests for assistance, and handle multiple detail-oriented projects with minimal supervision in a dynamic, evolving, fast-paced and high-activity environment
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and also to contribute to collaborative, collegial teamwork
• High attention to detail; well-organized with strong planning and project management skills with an emphasis on organization, prioritization, and diligence in following up on outstanding matters
• Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships within FMI’s business and Legal teams
• Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Strong legal research and analytical skills
• Proficiency with:
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues in a clear way
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to be a solutions-oriented and collaborative team player
• Strong presentation skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Understanding of HIPAA, GDPR, governance and security and the importance of patient data privacy
• Familiarity with the healthcare and FDA regulatory laws and regulations, including healthcare fraud and abuse laws, human subjects research regulations and other laws and regulations related to the development and commercialization of diagnostic products
• Unquestioned integrity and credibility
• Commitment to FMI’s values: innovation, patients, collaboration, and passion
Please be aware that Foundation Medicine mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.