The Research and Development team at Foundation Medicine is constantly pushing the envelope to transform cancer care.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
The Senior Director, Assay Development leads the development of new assays in collaboration with the cross-functional team. This position is responsible for overseeing a team of scientists in the development activities of high-throughput complex Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)-based workflows and for ensuring effective and scalable end-to-end clinical lab workflows. The role contributes to continuous improvement initiatives for FMI’s assay platform and supports collaboration with external partners.
• Lead the scientific team responsible for the early- through late-stage development and optimization of highly complex NGS workflows.
• Partner with the team in prioritizing areas of focus to support FMI’s long-term strategy, present, and near future objectives.
• Manage and delegate tasks within the department.
• Design, coordinate and evaluate projects pertinent to the assay development function.
• Maintain budgetary and operational management of assay development for projects.
• Collaborate with Franchise development lead, operations, technology, and product manager to define target product profile, operational specifications, and to demonstrate that the assay workflow meets these requirements.
• Supervise a team of scientists and research associates and conduct performance reviews, development activities, and hiring.
• Partner collaboratively with Research and Early Development and Computational Biology teams to initiate the development of new assays and/or workflows.
• Proactively establish and grow cross-functional collaboration and partnerships.
• Present results at meetings, with external collaborators, and for senior leadership.
• Lead multiple concurrent projects both independently and collaboratively.
• Maintain a library of department- and site-specific documents pertinent to assay development and the site.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Master’s Degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Cancer Genomics, or related field
• 12+ years working in industry and/or academia in a laboratory setting
• Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics or Cancer Genetics, or related field
• 13+ years of working experience in industry
• Extensive experience with molecular biology techniques and an understanding of the practices and principals of NGS, including DNA-seq and target-enrichment
• Management experience, including the ability to recruit, lead and develop a multidisciplinary team of molecular biologists, engineers, and data scientists
• Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to work across functions and within external collaborations
• Demonstrated history of organizing and communicating complex data sets in a clear and concise manner to cross-functional audiences and key stakeholders
• Utilizing robotic liquid handlers, lab automation and instrumentation for implementation of complex and high-throughput assays
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow
• Experience developing and overseeing the execution of development programs that have led to long-term, sustainable success of multiple products
• Experience performing development activities under design control and working within a regulated environment (FDA, CAP, CLIA)
• Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic fast paced team environment
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skill in collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Excellent organization and attention to detail• Commitment to reflect FMI's values: passion, patients, innovation, and collaboration
Please be aware that Foundation Medicine mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!