About the Job
The Senior Director, External Communications leads a broad communications program to strengthen Foundation Medicine’s reputation, build its corporate brand, and drive the growth of its business. This position leads a strong and experienced team of professionals and works closely with internal communications and creative team partners, executive leadership, and many others across the organization to distinguish Foundation Medicine as a pioneering, innovative, and patient-focused company working to transform cancer care.
• Lead the evolution of Foundation Medicine’s external communications strategy and plan to help further strengthen the company’s brand and reputation and support its business objectives.
• Help drive the launch of a renewed corporate narrative to highlight Foundation Medicine’s position as a company at the forefront of precision medicine working to transform cancer care by making genomic profiling indispensable to patient care and research.
• Direct a broad and dynamic external communications program that includes media relations, social and digital media, executive visibility and thought leadership, company positioning, and product communications.
• Lead a talented and experienced external communications team.
• Coach and mentor external communications team members and foster opportunities for development; support their professional growth and enable their advancement.
• Serve as a trusted and collaborative communications advisor to leaders throughout the organization.
• Participate in cross-functional teams and work to forge alignment on communications strategies for a range of external engagement initiatives, including reimbursement and access initiatives, regulatory and policy activities, and issues and crisis management.
• Coordinate with communications colleagues in affiliate companies across the Roche Group.
• Support employer branding and recruitment efforts by promoting Foundation Medicine’s inspiring mission, vibrant culture, and recognition as a top employer and great place to work.
• Select and oversee PR agencies and consultants to support the work of the communications team.
• Measure and evaluate progress toward communications goals, and manage the external communications budget.
• Act as a key partner to the VP of Communications and a member of the Communications leadership team. Help to shape the overall communications strategy for Foundation Medicine and to strengthen the operations, capabilities, and impact of the Communications team.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 10+ years of communications experience
• 5+ years of communications experience in a life sciences company
• Experience as a team leader and people manager
• Oncology and/or diagnostics experience
• Extensive knowledge of the life sciences industry, including regulatory processes, product development, scientific communications, and reimbursement practices
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a track record of establishing collaborative relationships with internal partners and navigating successfully in a corporate matrix environment
• Very strong writing and editing abilities
• Ability to listen and be open-minded to the perspectives of others
• Ability to approach work with a "Player-Coach" mindset, with a readiness to both set strategy and do the work
• A passion for leading teams
• A passion for simplification and a willingness to seek and try new approaches
• Understanding of HIPAA and the importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: Passion, Patients, Innovation, and Collaboration
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.