Our Medical team’s culture of curiosity and service supports its mission to ensure that each patient receives the right treatment for their unique cancer.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
The Senior Director, Pathology and Diagnostic Medicine Staff is a results-oriented medical operations leader responsible for directly managing a team of anatomic and molecular pathologists to efficiently and reliably deliver the highest quality and most impactful clinical diagnostic testing results to patients. This position ensures that the combined output of the diagnostic medicine service and clinical laboratory testing process meets all applicable clinical laboratory regulatory requirements. The Senior Director combines deep anatomic pathology and molecular testing expertise to participate directly in clinical service duties, to contribute to Pathology & Diagnostic Medicine (PDM) functional strategy development and execution, and to serve as a trusted medical cross-functional partner in laboratory process excellence initiatives and launches of new diagnostic product and clinical services. This position functions as an ambassador for molecular diagnostic medicine through internal and external educational programs and scientific and commercial presentations and research efforts and leads their team of pathologists to do the same.
This is a regulated position and additional information may be available from QA on the qualifications for this role pertaining to regulatory guidelines.
• Independently manage direct reports including Senior Pathologists, Pathologists, and Associate Pathologists, and collaborate with Site Laboratory Operations, Quality, and Regulatory teams to ensure delivery of high-quality clinical diagnostic medicine service.
• Oversee initial and ongoing training and competency assessments of each diagnostic medical service team member to ensure full compliance with regulatory guidelines.
• Provide management and mentorship, including support of annual goal-setting and bi-annual performance reviews, to enable direct reports to meet service expectations and to develop additional knowledge and skills to promote career development.
• Participate directly in providing diagnostic medicine services, including performing steps in the testing process (such as specimen adequacy review, result interpretation, and final report approval), clinical consultations, and technical inquiry resolutions for all FMI assays.
• Be responsible for team building and support, including promoting employee engagement, positive team culture, effective communication, talent retention, and recruitment of PDM staff in collaboration with the People Team and Talent Partners.
• Cooperate with Pathology and Diagnostic Medicine Staff leader counterpart(s) at other laboratory site(s) to ensure clinical service cross-site alignment of expectations and processes to promote consistency, efficiency, and team unity.
• As a member of the PDM leadership team, contribute to functional goal setting, strategy development, and tactical planning to achieve desired business outcomes and meet medical team and corporate objectives.
• Coordinate collection and monitoring of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and develop team resourcing plan aligned with operational demands and business needs.
• Contribute clinical and subspecialty subject matter expertise to cross-functional initiatives to enhance patient-centric innovation, improve clinical and biopharma customer experience and optimize business performance.
• Participate in research studies leading to abstracts, peer-reviewed publications and presentations at medical/scientific meetings that highlight FMI as a world leader in regulatory, scientific, and clinical innovation.
• Other duties and responsibilities applicable to pathology and diagnostic medicine as assigned.
• Doctor of Medicine Degree
• Medical Licensure in state of laboratory site
• American Board of Pathology – Anatomic Pathology certified
• 5+ years of experience after completion of medical training, including subspecialty medical training, diagnostic pathology service, biomedical or biotechnology research
• 1+ year of team management experience
• New York State Certificate of Qualification eligible or certified in “Oncology and Tumor Biomarkers”
• 3+ years of team management experience
• Experience managing medical or laboratory professionals, especially within a clinical testing laboratory setting
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and independently maintaining one’s own workflow and timelines
• Strong history of achievement demonstrated by leadership activities, publications, presentations or other activities
• Diagnostic medical testing subject-matter expert, including understanding of molecular diagnostics and broader oncology testing competitive landscape
• Subspecialty training and/or expertise in cancer biology, genomics or clinical trials
• Ability to self-organize and operate effectively without day-to-day oversight, while staying tightly connected to key leaders and teams across collaborations
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Ability to work in a laboratory environment in the presence of chemicals and reagents
• Excellent collaboration skills and the ability to effectively communicate (written and orally) with internal and external team members on project activities
• Excellent organization and attention to detail, demonstrated ability to consistently meet deadlines, and respond to team needs in a timely manner
• Process-oriented, flexible mindset, and collaborative approach to problem solving
• Understanding of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to FMI’s values: innovation, patients, collaboration, and passion
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Shakti, Foundation Medicine’s Senior Director of Pathology, and Senior Associate Medical Director, discusses the direct link between his daily work and making a positive impact for people with cancer. Hear a about a day in the life of a Pathologist at Foundation Medicine.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!