Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About the Job
The Senior Manager, Experience Design leads research, strategy and product design efforts of a Foundation Medicine value stream. This position guides a small team comprised of researchers, strategists, service designers, and product designers to work with a mix of internal stakeholders, including product owners to help unearth and define opportunity areas and arrive at solutions informed by research. This role also mentors team members to help the group work better and smarter by leveling up the Experience Design group’s operational excellence.
The Experience Design group works across our organization to bring insights, opportunities, and solutions to teams aspiring to improve the lives of people affected by cancer. As a leader in the Experience Design group, you’ll work closely with cross-disciplinary team members to define process and methods that help understand a problem space in addition to growing specific domain knowledge. We’re looking for a product designer with a background in UX, UI, and or service design, ready to dig into complexity and nuance surrounding clinical decision-making. Projects you lead could directly support efforts to understand and enhance the experience of customers who use our comprehensive genomic profiling test results to inform patient care and clinical research. The ideal candidate understands the impacts design decisions have on customers, their behaviors and alignment to expectations. A proactive and diligent advocate to human-centered design; able to leverage value proposition methodology in an ever changing digital healthcare environment, looking to make a difference in a mission-driven healthcare context.
• Define specific projects and objectives to solve customer experience problems, identifying specific scenarios and workflows that are critical for a product.
• Work closely with key stakeholders and product owners to understand the business goals for projects and define a design response that includes process definition, resource alignment, and proper expectation setting.
• Lead cross-functional team members to explore concepts that address user needs and business goals as they align with the product roadmap.
• Work with product owners and designers to define efficient explore-define-validate process for given objectives.
• Contribute design expertise to create prototypes of experiences that consider a range of contexts and inputs to align product and engineering teammates.
• Coordinate quarterly planning to align design resources with roadmap and company goals.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 8+ years of experience with user experience design (UX), customer experience design (CX) and/or Service design
• 5+ years of experience leading medium to large, complex, multi-channel design projects with a focus on UI and digital solutions
• Advanced Degree in the social sciences or design practices or equivalent practical experience
• Experience conducting generative research leading to frameworks and personas or archetypes
• General domain experience in the healthcare field
• History supporting organization related to customer experience and product development
• Demonstrated evidence of success working in a cross-functional environment with ability to build strong relationships
• Demonstrated ability to effectively organize a team and manage resource allocation
• Demonstrable experience employing a variety of human centric methods to solve design challenges
• Proficiency in design thinking and UX fundamentals, including strategy, research, usability, rapid iteration, and prototyping
• Familiarity and comfort leading projects from start to finish while guiding junior staff; this includes project definition, method selection, stakeholder alignment, meeting facilitation, planning and execution, and follow through toward implementation to help guide design decisions
• Ability to dissect problems and ask the right questions, constantly digging deeper to uncover underlying meaning
• Ability to define core principles and value propositions as they apply to interface design and product development
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our second annual Hackathon took place virtually this year, providing our employees with the opportunity to pause their daily jobs and creatively problem solve with people from across the company.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!