About the Job
The Senior Pathologist and Associate Medical Director is involved in all aspects of FMI’s laboratory operations and serves as an internal subject matter expert, applying medical knowledge to advise decisionmakers in support of FMI’s mission to transform cancer care. The Pathologist is responsible for review and approval of documentation and reports, supporting clinical testing strategies, as well as new assay development and validation. The incumbent also serves as an ambassador for comprehensive genomic profiling through education and research efforts within and external to FMI.
• For all clinical and biopharma testing performed at FMI including FoundationOneCDx, FoundationOneHeme, and FoundationOneLiquid assay:
· Review patient specimens prior to testing in collaboration with other applicable stakeholders.
· Review and approve IHC, IGH, and other reports.
• Independently manage direct reports by providing mentorship, direction and performance feedback.
• Encourage peer development through participation and contributions to colleagues’ projects and initiatives.
• Provide career development opportunities for the pathology group that builds value for the team and the business.
• Function as an Associate Medical Director for the laboratory operations to ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines and promote audit readiness.
• As a site lead, provide support to all departments and department leaders.
• Provide clinical consultation regarding the utility of the Foundation Medicine assays including sample selection, test appropriateness, and interpretation of results.
• Support FMI Commercial Team initiatives and programs through traveling to and administering programs at hospitals, cancer centers, and academic medical centers.
• Participate in new assay development and validation, and optimization of existing assays.
• Provide clinical expertise for strategic research initiatives to expand new testing capabilities.
• Support Quality Assurance, Compliance and Regulatory activities.
• Perform research studies leading to abstracts, peer-reviewed publications and presentations at medical/scientific meetings that highlight FMI assays and data.
• Provide subject matter expertise on established specialty areas.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Doctor of Medicine Degree
• Medical Licensure
• Formal pathology training
• American Board of Pathology – Anatomic Pathology Certification
• 3+ years of experience in diagnostic pathology, biomedical research, or biotechnology after completion of clinical training
• 5+ years of experience in diagnostic pathology, biomedical research, or biotechnology after completion of clinical training
• Subspecialty training and/or expertise in cancer biology, genomics or clinical trials
• Strong history of achievement demonstrated by leadership activities, publications, presentations or other activities
• Collaboration skills and the ability to effectively communicate (written and oral) with internal and external team members on project activities
• Process-oriented, flexible mindset and approach to creative problem solving
• Demonstrated history of cross-functional leadership and/or participation in cross-functional teams
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
• Understanding of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the importance of patient data privacy
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Ability to self-organize and operate effectively without day-to-day oversight, while staying tightly connected to key leaders and teams across the collaborations
• Ability to work in a laboratory environment in the presence of chemicals and reagents
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: innovation, patients, collaboration, and passion
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.