The Research and Development team at Foundation Medicine is constantly pushing the envelope to transform cancer care.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
The Senior Scientist is part of the Research and Early Development team. This position explores new technologies and biomarker candidates to address unmet needs in the oncology field. The position primary responsibility is the planning and execution of a variety of scientific research projects, including in vitro proof-of concept and feasibility experiments.
• Plan and execute of proof-of-concept and feasibility experiments to support the development of new tests in the oncology field using existing or novel methods, including Next Generation Sequencing, 3rd Generation Sequencing, Microarray, quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (qPCR), and Digital PCR (dPCR).
• Evaluate new reagents and technologies, protocol modifications, and methods that may improve the sample throughput and or quality of results of existing assays.
• Design and execute new research projects in the multi-omics field (genomics, epigenomics, transcriptomics) that supports the development of new innovative assays in the oncology field.
• Train other research team members and other scientific staff in methods and techniques, supervising these staff members on specific projects.
• Collaborate with team members in specifying requirements for new assays to enhance biomarker and technology discovery.
• Provide scientific support in exploratory biomarker hypothesis testing & generation according to research scope.
• Assist with drafting and completing manuscripts for publication; manage data analysis and interpretation of research and early development study results throughout manuscript publication process from draft through submission and acceptance.
• Organize and present results at regular team and cross-functional meetings.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Master’s Degree in Biology or a related discipline.
• 5+ years of work experience in a molecular biology laboratory.
• PhD Degree in Biology or a related life science discipline and 7+ years of work experience in a molecular biology laboratory, including 3+ years of work experience in NGS library preparations, including hybrid capture and amplicon based targeted sequencing.
• Deep knowledge of cancer biology, cell biology, genetics, epigenetics or molecular biology.
• Familiarity with NGS technologies and principles and NGS software tools for the interpretation of NGS data.
• Expertise in state-of-the-art technologies and biomarker trends in oncology.
• Demonstrated ability to rapidly distill clear, complete, and succinct summaries from complex and potentially contradictory primary literature sources.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including effective oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to problem solve, within a team and cross-functionally.
• Ability to perform careful, detail-oriented work under deadline pressure.
• Strong organizational and time-management skills including managing projects simultaneously.
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!