The Research and Development team at Foundation Medicine is constantly pushing the envelope to transform cancer care.
Watch the video above to see how each member has the chance to make a real impact.
About the Job
The Senior Scientist is part of the Research and Early Development group within FMI’s R&D function. This position explores new technologies and biomarker modalities to address unmet needs in the oncology field using liquid biopsy. The position’s primary responsibility is the planning and execution of a variety of scientific research projects, including technology development and feasibility studies, as well as driving new innovations along the way. This position is also expected to provide mentorship to junior level scientist in the team.
• Design and execute new research projects in the multi-omics field (genomics, epigenomics, transcriptomics) that supports the development of new innovative assays in the oncology field.
• Identify technology gaps in the relevant field and drive new innovations.
• Keep abreast of the evolving technology landscape and identify emerging technologies.
• Evaluate new reagents and technologies, protocol modifications, and methods that may improve the sample throughput and or quality of results of existing assays.
• Plan and execute proof-of-concept and feasibility experiments to support the development of new tests in the oncology field using existing or novel molecular methods.
• Train other research team members and other scientific staff in methods and techniques, supervising these staff members on specific projects.
• Collaborate with team members in specifying requirements for new assays to enhance biomarker and technology discovery.
• Assist with drafting and completing manuscripts for publication; manage data analysis and interpretation of research and early development study results throughout manuscript publication process from draft through submission and acceptance.
• Organize and present results at regular team and cross-functional meetings.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Master’s Degree in Biology or a related discipline
• 5+ years of work experience in a molecular biology laboratory
• PhD Degree in Biology or a related life science discipline and 7+ years of work experience in a molecular biology laboratory, including 3+ years of work experience in various NGS workflows
• Deep knowledge of cancer biology, cell biology, genetics, epigenetics or molecular biology
• Expertise in state-of-the-art technologies and biomarker trends in liquid biopsy
• Direct hands-on experience in working with cfDNA
• Experience in leading a research project from ideation to proof-of-concept or feasibility completion
• Familiarity with NGS software tools for the interpretation of NGS data
• Demonstrated ability to solve complex technical problems, within a team and cross-functionally
• Demonstrated ability to make decisions and take new initiatives based on systematic evidence gathering and reasoning
• Strong interpersonal skills, including effective oral and written communication skills
• Ability to perform careful, detail-oriented work under deadline pressure
• Strong organizational and time-management skills including managing projects simultaneously
• Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Thank you for sending this job to your friend.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!