Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About the Job
The Senior Software Engineer within Lab Systems is an advanced, specialized position writing software that makes cancer data accessible to clinicians, researchers, and patients. This position is responsible for participating in development team activities as well as maintenance and support tasks for FMI’s internal business systems leveraging agile principles and the goal of continuous delivery. As a senior-level position, this Software Engineer provides mentoring to less-experienced team members; collaborates and participates in technical design efforts; and is instrumental in ensuring accurate, innovative, and low-defect software solutions.
• Develop software solutions needed by the business, by:
• Determine operational feasibility by completing:
• Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments, and clear code.
• Prepare and install solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
• Improve operations by conducting systems analysis and recommending changes in policies and procedures.
• Maintain and leverage up-to-date industry knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; and participating in professional organizations.
• Protect operations by keeping information confidential.
• Provide information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
• Support and develop software engineers by providing advice, coaching, and educational opportunities.
• Mentor less experienced software engineering and development team members by answering questions and establishing best coding and engineering practices.
• Collaborate with team to brainstorm and create new products.
• Grow engineering teams by participating in interview, recruitment, and hiring processes.
• Make informed decisions quickly and take ownership of services and applications.
• Work collaboratively cross-functionally with product owners, key business and technical stakeholders, and others to achieve goals and to ensure FMI is building the best products.
• Remain persistent and creative in problem-solving.
• Act as the point person for problem-solving software-related crises and provide effective, continual support through to problem resolution.
• Develop best practices and technology standards and help drive implementation and adherence throughout the development team.
• Help define and participate in software development processes that leverages best practice and supports continuous product delivery.
• Maintain an agile and scrum environment to deliver new innovative products.
• Participate in and conduct regular peer design, code reviews, and knowledge sharing sessions.
• Provide individual hands-on developer contributions.
• Other projects as periodically assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree AND 5+ years of software engineering experience OR 10+ years of professional software engineering experience
• 7+ years experience in software engineering and development
• Proficiency in Structured Query Language (SQL) and database development practices
• Hands-on experience in one or more backend frameworks like - Spring framework, dotNet framework, ExpressJS framework
• 2+ years of professional experience with the following:
• Prior Experience:
• Passionate about great technologies, especially open source
• Understanding of business needs and knowledge of how to create the tools to manage them
• Understanding of HIPAA, CCPA, HITRUST other regulations pertinent to data security and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to reflect FMI's values: passion, patients, innovation, and collaboration
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our second annual Hackathon took place virtually this year, providing our employees with the opportunity to pause their daily jobs and creatively problem solve with people from across the company.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!