Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.
About the Job
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the technical leadership of a software development team at FMI. The incumbent leads by example to create a culture of software excellence and adherence to engineering best practices. The Senior Software Engineer has a high-level understanding of the codebase and leads at least one domain of FMI architecture. This role works with product management, customers, and other technical leaders to develop an engineering roadmap for the team. The incumbent makes well-reasoned decisions and trade-offs and, as an experienced practitioner, provides guidance to less experienced Software Engineers.
• Lead assigned team-wide initiatives, such as:
· Investigating design approaches;
· Prototyping new technologies; and,
· Evaluating technical feasibility.
• Develop FMI’s software; in particular the Artifact Generator and Clara Application.
• Write, test, and refactor code that is: reusable, testable, efficient, clean, and well-commented.
• Maintain efforts for the product or platform to be: cloud-native, resilient, secure, and scalable.
• Engineer installation qualifications and operational qualifications.
• Communicate with applicable stakeholders to obtain information on requirements.
• Meet with Technology and Product Development Teams for frequent collaboration on specific projects.
• Coach, guide, and mentor team members.
• Conduct and participate in peer design, code reviews, and knowledge sharing sessions.
• Lead and participate in scrum ceremonies.
• Establish clear technical roadmaps to ensure the maintainability and quality of the product’s code base while reducing technical debt.
• Collaboration & Other
• Drive efforts for assigned team’s adoption of established best engineering practices.
• Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements including, but not limited to: automating manual processes, optimizing product delivery, and redesigning infrastructure for greater scalability.
• Debug highly complex problems escalated by other team members.
• Deliver contributions in an Agile approach and leveraging Agile methodology.
• Provide software engineering expertise and support to the business per business needs.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree AND 5+ years of professional software engineering experience OR 10+ years of professional software engineering experience
• 2+ years of professional experience with the following:
· Leading the architecture and design of new and/or current systems
· Large-scale Single Page Applications utilizing modern web technologies
· Node.js runtime and associated tools for web servers such as Express or KOA
· Taking a lead role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Amazon Web Services (AWS) or similar cloud platform
· Proven successful delivery of large-scale Single Page Applications utilizing modern web technologies
· Both Object Oriented Programming (OOP) and Functional Programming (FP) paradigms
· Distributed event streaming systems such as Kafka, Pulsar, or Kinesis
· Relational and NoSQL database technologies
· Containerization/containerized development of software: Docker, Kubernetes, and others
· Distributed systems and both asynchronous and concurrent programming concepts
• Experience building and delivering Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) solutions
• Prior life science industry experience, particularly in the genomics field
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow.
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skill in collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Understanding of CCPA, HITRUST, HIPAA, other regulations pertinent to data security, and the importance of patient data privacy
• Commitment to reflect FMI’s values: Passion, Patients, Innovation, and Collaboration
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Enter your details and we will notify you when new roles that might be a fit are posted!