About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
The Software Engineer II as a member of the Enterprise Systems Engineering team, customizes, configures, and writes software that supports software in order to enable the FMI testing process for our patients. Specifically, the role designs, develops, and supports business processes and integration on FMI’s enterprise system platforms. This position works with various languages and tools within an agile SDLC framework, acting both as a member of a large team and as the sole developer as part of our support team.
As a Software Engineer you will dive into design, delivery, and operations for your product or platform. You will feel driven as part of your team to ensure your product or platform uses the latest and greatest techniques to be cloud-native, resilient, secure, and highly scalable. You will constantly look to refactor and improve your code. In addition, you will embrace and embody our engineering culture and practices.
• Identify, troubleshoot, resolve, and document user system issues.
• Maintain customer satisfaction in every step of the service delivery.
• Utilize remote monitoring and management software to resolve client requests.
• Document, review, and improve existing or new procedures and workflows.
• Prioritize work to resolve complex support client issues.
• Establish a high level of personal credibility and build strong relationships.
• Collaborate with other IT staff and vendor support resources to resolve requests.
• Participate in ongoing personal training and attainment of technical certifications.
• Ensure the security of all configurations made on client systems.
• Provide updates, status, and completion information to management.
• Support releases, hotfixes, and deployments.
• Develop formal technical specifications based upon requirements captured.
• Design, develop, test, document, and deploy business solutions.
• Collaborate with other technology teams to integrate with various FMI systems.
• Contribute to and maintain formal technical procedures and documentation for the software developed.
• Participate in and conduct regular peer design, code reviews, and knowledge sharing sessions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree or 4 years of professional information technology experience in lieu of a degree, AND
• 1+ years of software engineering experience
• Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in software engineering, programming, management information systems, computer science or related field
• Master’s Degree in software engineering
• Technology Certifications
• 2.5+ years of software engineering experience
• Working knowledge of programming languages:
• Experience with modern web technologies and techniques, including but not limited to:
· ECMAScript 2015/2016 (ES6/7)
· CSS pre-processors (SASS, Less, Stylus)
· NPM package ecosystem
• Exposure to cloud development (Amazon Web Services, Azure, etc.)
• Familiarity with microservices (Lambda, Azure Functions)
• Experience writing unit tests using:
• Solid knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, and SCSS
• Demonstrated history of writing tests prior to other steps
• Experience writing code for cross-browser compatibility
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow
• Demonstrated ability of a strong work ethic and of meeting project deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic, collaborate team environment
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Excellent presentation skills and basic knowledge of presentation software
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skill in collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Understanding of HIPPA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Commitment to reflect Foundation Medicine's values: passion, patients, innovation, and collaboration
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.
Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.