Full Time | Boston | Massachusetts | United States
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
About the Job
The Software Engineer II is a crucial part of the Enterprise Quality Engineering Team and is broadly responsible for building and supporting the Tools and Platforms for all Testing teams across the organization. The technical products which are developed by the incumbent filling this position enables every single software engineering testing team to make an efficient Automated Testing Life Cycle. This position completes design, development, unit testing, code reviews, and development of technical documentation. Code created in this position is to be reusable, testable, efficient, clean and well commented. This Engineer fully understands one area of the codebase, makes well-reasoned decisions, well-reasoned trade-offs, and is able to work in other parts of the codebase with guidance.
As a Software Engineer you will dive into design, delivery and operations for your product or platform. You will feel driven as part of your team to ensure your product or platform uses the latest and greatest techniques to be cloud-native, resilient, secure and highly scalable. You will constantly look to refactor and improve your code. In addition you will embrace and embody our engineering culture and practices.
• Create custom programs and applications designated by business need.
• Develop Mock Services for FMI's software in use by the business.
• Develop and Maintain Test Execution Platforms, Utilities, and Services.
• Schedule cross-functional meetings with project managers, end users, and other internal and external stakeholders at pre-set intervals to gather information for requirements.
• Write, test, and refactor code that is: reusable, testable, efficient, clean, and well commented.
• Maintain efforts for product or platform to be: cloud-native, resilient, secure, and scalable.
• Ensure code adheres to patterns and any established standards.
• Project Delivery
• Define and document architecture, functional, and design requirements.
• Develop formal technical specifications based upon requirements captured.
• Engineer installation qualifications and operational qualifications.
• Perform testing of code and work prior to implementation.
• Help define and participate in software development processes that leverages best practice and supports continuous product delivery.
• Participate in and conduct regular peer design and code reviews.
• Conform to coding conventions and all aspects of the software development life cycle.
• Design initiatives that ensure applications integrate seamlessly with other programs in-use at FMI, including Customer Relationship Management tools, Medical Reporting systems, Billing systems, and the Laboratory Information Management System.
• Provide software engineering expertise and support to the business per business needs.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree or 4 years of professional information technology experience in lieu of a degree, AND
• 1+ years of software engineering experience
• Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in Software Engineering, Programming, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or related field
• Master’s Degree in Software Engineering
• Technology Certifications
• 2.5+ years of software engineering experience
• 2+ years of experience working with Amazon Web Services or similar cloud platform
• Expert knowledge of object-oriented programming and functional programming languages:
• Experience with modern web technologies and techniques, including but not limited to:
· ECMAScript 2015/2016 (ES6/7)
· CSS pre-processors (SASS, Less, Stylus)
· NPM package ecosystem
• Exposure to cloud development (Amazon Web Services, Azure, etc.)
• Familiarity with Lambda, Docker, containerization and microservices
• Experience writing unit tests using:
• Solid knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, and SCSS
• Demonstrated history of writing tests prior to other steps
• Excellent presentation skills and basic knowledge of presentation software
• Experience writing code for cross-browser compatibility
• Demonstrated history of successfully managing multiple concurrent initiatives and maintaining one’s own workflow
• Demonstrated ability of a strong work ethic and of meeting project deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic, collaborate team environment
• Strong interpersonal skills that include excellent skill in collaboration and problem solving with other departments and colleagues
• Understanding of HIPPA and importance of privacy of patient data
• Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional demeanor
• Excellent organization and attention to detail
• Commitment to reflect Foundation Medicine's values: passion, patients, innovation, and collaboration
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Plan Employer
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMI’s EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
Internal applicants, please use your FMI email address.
Our recent Hackathon brought our colleagues from all departments and regions together to create & innovate.
Our Data and Tech teams are growing. Hear from the teams about why they chose Foundation Medicine and why they stay.
Curious how you can help? Good. Curiosity is our most important requirement.